1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg 810E with one input jack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by arguijot, May 1, 2009.

1. arguijot

arguijot

Apr 29, 2009
    I have a question, I have an ampeg 810E with only one 1/4" input jack. I am trying to fimd out what model and year this thing was made. and if it is a good cabinet. It sounds insane. but i am just doing dome checking up on it. any info would be great Thank's:bassist:

2. EviscerateNick

EviscerateNick

May 9, 2007
    BAY AREA
    Endorsing Artist: THC GOLD
    i have one i got used which i assume is from the eighties. it sounds way better than any newer ones. mine is 400watts

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
  4. arguijot

arguijot

Apr 29, 2009
    Hey Jimmy. but i have letters not numbers as my serial#'s 810--1248 svt 810

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    the speakers have date codes on them. pull one and see.

6. Just curious, how likely is it that Ampeg stockpiled speakers? (My guess is very likely)

So, you could say the cab could be dated anytime AFTER the date codes, since, IMHO, it's unlikely that a cab and it's speakers were manufactured the same day/week/month

7. arguijot

arguijot

Apr 29, 2009
    You are right about that. I had a GK the cab was built in feb of 07 and the drivers in sept 07. And during that time the cabinet was redisigned----Twice:crying:

8. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I have a 1987 first year SLM cab with 1 input. Serial number 1187. Amazing cabinet. Wouldn't trade it for the world! ;)

9. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IME, the speaker codes are generally very close to the date of manufacture. i've worked on 1000's of Fender & Ampegs and the Fender's chassis date stamps and ink codes, are within weeks (or months) to the transformer, potentiometer & speaker codes. so the speaker codes should be close enough unless you want to know the exact date of its manufacture. but at least you'll know exactly how old your speakers are.

10. Thanks, John :). I just wanted to point out that those dates don't mean the entire [product] was mfgd at that time.

11. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    you are absolutely correct sir. ;)

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    A winner is you! That sounds like it's very early SLM-era, back when SLM was hungry and had something to prove, and back before they started using those boomy sounding high power jobs in the 2000's. Some of those cabs came with Eden speakers as an upgrade, I believe. Bet it sounds great. I'd take the 400w cabs over the 1000w cabs any day.

13. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    The single-jack 810E I bought new in late 1990 or so sounded better than the older '70's SVT 8x10 I also had. 'More punchy, crisp, and focused.

14. arguijot

arguijot

Apr 29, 2009
    the first 2 digets are 85- am i to asume that is the man date.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Is there a number that starts with 67? 67 is code for Eminence, and then the next two numbers are the year.