Ampeg 8x10: Transportation Alternative?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Reynolds 101, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I sold my Ampeg 8x10 and bought a Sadowsky 4x10, 2 Ampeg 2x10s and an Ampeg 1x15.

I play some fairly large outdoor gigs and if I gig my SVT-CL with 2 of the 2x10s or my 4x10. It is still crazy loud. I rarely turn past 3 or 4.

Having said that, the air that a 8x10 moves behind you is pretty hard to duplicate.

Personally, I would look at a 6x10 or a 4x10 and a 2x10 (or 1x15) or lastly a couple of 4x10s.

2. pbass2go

pbass2go

Dec 19, 2004
    Apple Valley, MN
    No pics, no slip cover. (or 8X10 either) :)

I used to haul mine around in the back seat of an 80-something Buick Century. Took the back seat bottom cushion out, slid the cab in and put the cushion back on top of the cabinet.

I miss that cabinet every gig ;)

3. I'm waiting for the GK neo 810 - it should be a breeze to move at only 100lb's.

4. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    No 80 something Buick Century Pics, Thank YOU! :D You make yur girlfriend sit on the seat up there then right? Thats what I'd do, hey hold that better, I dont want that cab scratched. Yeehaw... BOB :hyper:

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The Bergantino NV610 cops a great vintage Ampeg 8x10 vibe (and sounds even better), and is much easier to move around.

Tom.

6. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    will not be the same. neither will any HLF version.

7. JCM800

JCM800

Jan 22, 2009
    Austin TX
    My old bassist used an Ampeg 4x10 and a 1x18. Much more portable, sounded better to me than a fridge IMHO.

I would like a fridge cab, but am doing just fine with and VERY pleased with my Ampeg Isovent cab (old slant cab w/2x10's on top and 2 clamshell-mounted 15's on bottom).

8. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows

Oct 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    +1 for berg nv610. all day. i gig 3x a week and just switched from ampeg 810 to a schroeder 1212L. i had a few issues with feeling like less of a man, but F that, it sounds great and i can carry it with one hand. no more needing help. no more hurting myself. not quite the ampeg sound you're looking for, i'm just saying sometimes a small high end cabinet can be alot better than what you might think.

9. I had a similar dilemma, I have a tiny car but I need big tone. I settled on the Ampeg 610HLF as it was available to me. If I ever get the chance I'll be upgrading to an NV610, hopefully.

10. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA

Aha! I went to move it today, and the cover broke... :/

So, I'm gonna make a new one out of less pieces of cardboard and use hot glue instead of duct tape,

then reinforce with gorilla tape.
    :bag:

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021