1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg A-120

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rutabowa, Mar 20, 2009.

1. rutabowa

rutabowa

Mar 20, 2009
    Hello, i am new!
    Has anyone ever used one of these amps for bass? I can't find much info on them. I think it might be some kind of PA/power amp. at the moment i am gigging with a Carlsboro 50 guitar valve combo so it must be louder than that though right?

2. rutabowa

rutabowa

Mar 20, 2009
    noone heard of it?!

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Guess not, I certainly haven't. Good luck though,.

4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Yep- my first band had one to drive the monitors. It's a mono power amp rated at 120 WRMS. VERY unforgiving of wrong load impedance- we popped ours twice before the store we bought it from asked what we were hooking up to it. Good things about it were that it was pretty clean sounding, came in its own rack, and had a 15' power cord from the factory. Bad things were that it just didn't have much power and an 8 ohm minimum load was kinda pointless for a stand alone power amp, and that it was pretty big for such low power.

The one we had was purchased in 1977, I think they were gone from the line by 1980. I pawned mine for $80 about fifteen years ago.

jte

5. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I've got one; bought it because I never saw one, it was cheap, and thought it would be cool Ampeg artifact.
    Crazy super long power cord.
    Has an annoying power on thump but is pretty clean; agree with JTE about low power; thanks for the tip about load impedance; only used it once for about 15 minutes just to see if it worked.

6. rutabowa

rutabowa

Mar 20, 2009
    thank you for the advice, i went for a Selmer Bass and Treble that was a bit more expensive but not too much, and is actually a bass amp.

7. elvin s

elvin s

Nov 13, 2014

8. elvin s

elvin s

Nov 13, 2014
    Can you hookup a stereo preamp to it how would you do it?