1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg AMB-1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Beets, May 14, 2005.

1. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Didn't Ampeg re-issue the Dan Armstrong AMB-1 in Lucite and also in wood back in the late 90's? There aren't any basses at the Ampeg website so I guess it is too late to get a new one from them. Someone told me that there is/was a Japanese clone of the AMB-1. It would be fun to have one again. Anybody got any info? :)

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

They had put out a bass with the same body style but i dont think any were made out of lucite.

3. Yes, Ampeg did make transparent plastic re-issues, as well as updated all wood versions of the old Dan Armstrong basses a few years ago. Bass Player wrote a quite positive review of a transparent one, and shortly after I bumped into one in a store. I remember not liking it very much playabilitywise, and also found it uncomfortably heavy. I've never encountered a wooden one though, but IIRC they were equipped with a MusicMan type humbucker in the sweetspot, and were painted in horrible colours. Like very dark purple.

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

my main gripe was that they used Grover Rotomatic g**t*r tuners :scowl:

Attached Files:

5. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    OK, that really helps. Maybe I don't really need one after all. A couple of years ago I got rid of all my P-Basses except the 1969. I play a re-issue Mustang now. There aren't a lot of choices in a short scale under $1500. I do have a good supply of P-Bass parts that have accumulated over the years like pots, pickups, tuners etc. so I think I will get a Rondo short- scale P-bass and hop it up. :)