Ampeg AMB-1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Beets, May 14, 2005.

1. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Didn't Ampeg re-issue the Dan Armstrong AMB-1 in Lucite and also in wood back in the late 90's? There aren't any basses at the Ampeg website so I guess it is too late to get a new one from them. Someone told me that there is/was a Japanese clone of the AMB-1. It would be fun to have one again. Anybody got any info? :)

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

They had put out a bass with the same body style but i dont think any were made out of lucite.
  3. Yes, Ampeg did make transparent plastic re-issues, as well as updated all wood versions of the old Dan Armstrong basses a few years ago. Bass Player wrote a quite positive review of a transparent one, and shortly after I bumped into one in a store. I remember not liking it very much playabilitywise, and also found it uncomfortably heavy. I've never encountered a wooden one though, but IIRC they were equipped with a MusicMan type humbucker in the sweetspot, and were painted in horrible colours. Like very dark purple.
  4. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    or real bright pink :p

my main gripe was that they used Grover Rotomatic g**t*r tuners :scowl:

Attached Files:

5. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    OK, that really helps. Maybe I don't really need one after all. A couple of years ago I got rid of all my P-Basses except the 1969. I play a re-issue Mustang now. There aren't a lot of choices in a short scale under $1500. I do have a good supply of P-Bass parts that have accumulated over the years like pots, pickups, tuners etc. so I think I will get a Rondo short- scale P-bass and hop it up. :)