1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ampeg B-15 volume?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jebo, Mar 31, 2013.

1. jebo

jebo

Apr 25, 2009
    Anyone know if the B-15 and other flip top amps are loud enough for most live situations?

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Unless your name is JimmyM no they are not. :)

3. extreme

extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    Coffee shop/acoustic gigs are fine. You will run out of steam quickly if playing with a loud drummer or a guitarist with lots of low end. All that said, throw a SM57 in front of it and put it through the P.A. for bigger shows and it will work wonderfully!

4. patrickshofner

patrickshofner Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Central Kentucky
    I run mine at church every week. As long as I have pa support, I'll never use anything else.

5. I ran mine really hard for a few rock shows. Sounded killer until the tranny gave out. Now I use it for smaller gigs and studio only.

6. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Belle & Sebastian have use one live, always mic'd and put through the pa, but a B15 nonetheless.

7. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    that's pretty much the real answer. Without PA support, 25/27w are just not going to work for very many situations - even with an ext cab rig like JimmyM's.

And keep in mind, a B15 is pretty heavy little beast for what it delivers watts wise, so its not an ideal rig for a working player who has to regularly move from gig to gig, week in/week out.

In the studio with great miking, or in a set piece gig (like a regular worship, or house band gig) with solid PA support - hard to beat the sound.

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    A B15 does make a very nice home PRACTICE amp though - right Jimmy?? :D

9. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I've tried to use my B-15 a couple of times on top of on top of a vintage SVT loaded 410 and it just didn't cut it with a band and PA. If I had an SM57 it would have been buttery heaven with some PA support though.

They make great practice, acoustic, low volume jam, etc amps though. Strangely I once had a "bassist" and recording guy (who was admittedly a bit off his rocker) refuse to let me use my B-15 to record. :(

10. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I saw Medeski Martin and Wood live several years ago and I think he had a B15 on stage (among other things). Monster bass tone he had going on that night.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What a bunch of losers!!! B-15 rules for live work!!!

:D

12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    You don't even need an amp with a pro PA, in-ears, and a countryman DI—but to answer the OP's question, a B-15 is fine for live "bass not in PA" gigs, if they are in your living room!

13. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

Live from the winter of 1973-1974 (3-6) nights per week until fall of 1975 then (2-3) per week until around the fall of 1983or whenever it was I got married. Sporadic jams with friend and family after that until sold on 2003?

It was a great amp. Yes, it did run out of steam and everyone turned down.

It was heavy, changibg the speaker for a JBL didn't help, neither did the Anvil flight case.