1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg B-25B head questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by billstets, Mar 31, 2009.

1. billstets

billstets

Mar 31, 2009
    Hello
    I'm new here, and well, I'm a guitar player...sorry!

Anyway, I was given a B-25B head, which I believe dates from the very early 70s. It works, but I have no cab. I was thinking it might be good to have around for jams. I have a couple of questions:

1. It has two 7027 output tubes, so I guess it puts out about 60 watts? Is it loud enough to use in a band for bass? It's too loud for guitar. Wow! I put it through my 2x12 Avatar and it never breaks up (which is good for bass) and it's loud. But I don't know for bass.

2. What would be a good and cheap used cab to buy for it? I don't want to spend a lot of money, since I'm not really a bass player, though I fake it (I play bass like a guitar player). There are always cabs on Ebay, and Daddys also has a bunch of used cabs. It looks like I could get one for $125-300 that would do the trick. In that price range, Daddys has used 2x10s, 4x10s, and 1x15s made by Acoustic, Ampeg, Carvin, Bagend and Behringer. Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    You mention Bag End,these should match up well
    with a B-25 for bass use,or perhaps a 410..

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Check your ohms. I believe the B25B is meant to run at 16 ohms, which is very odd compared to most modern bass cabs, (4 or 8). There was a 215 cab designed to match it, but I think you can do a modification to run at 8 ohms. Good luck.

4. billstets

billstets

Mar 31, 2009
    Thanks. You're right about the 16 ohms, but I read that you can make it 8 ohms by shorting the Ext speaker jack (just plug in a 1/4" plug with no cable) and plugging the cab into the regular jack.

5. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Here's the scoop. The B25B head is 55 watts RMS into a 16 OR 8 ohm load (straight from the manual) and was coupled with a B25B 2-15 cab at 130 watts RMS switchable from 4 to16 ohms. I own this rig as well as another B25B head. Use for bass is, as usual, subject to your tastes for tone and volume. It was introduced as the Ampeg version of the Fender Bassman 50 watt head and cab. Has that classic 60's rock sound but not much headroom or thunderous bottom. I would go with a 8 ohm 2-15 cab or 2 16 ohm 2-15 cabs. The additional cab adds a lot of fullness and perceived sound. :cool:

6. billstets

billstets

Mar 31, 2009
    Thanks a lot!

7. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    That head sounds awesome, but its not very loud. When at band volume it is going to be quite dirty. Not necessarily a bad thing :bassist:

What you want to go with it is a very efficient cab so you'll get the most volume/watt. I'm thinking a Mesa 2x15 maybe.