Ampeg B1-RE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fresnorich, May 25, 2005.

1. fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
  2. jerseydrew

May 22, 2006
    I'm curious too. The price is nice.
  3. I've heard some bad things about it. I've heard that the 300 watts is overrated, so Ampeg came out with the B2RE that has more power. Most people I've seen are selling their B1's and moving to the B2's. I'm sure it doesn't sound bad, it's just not a "true" 300 watts.

Of couse, I've heard all of this over the internet and people I've met in guitar stores, not from my own experience. I went right for the 3 Pro.

I did want a SVT-450H however. It's the same as the B2 but in a SVT case. That would look sweet on top of my 4x10.

...But it's too late. I've made my choice. ;)
  4. heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    I have the ampeg b1-re. It is not extremely loud like I would think 300 watts would be, but it is plenty loud for any venue. Because at large venue's your mic'd up, and if your not mic'd up, you are at a small place, and you will be able to be heard. The head is great, I love it!
  5. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I played through one @ GC. It was hooked up to an SVT 210 and an SVT 15. Sounded very nice. Typical Ampeg SS sound. I liked it.

My only problem with them is that I think they are over priced. I think there are better deals out there for amp heads in the same power level. The Ashdown Mag 300 comes to mind.
  6. jobo4

Apr 19, 2006
    Austin, TX
    +1. I have a MAG. Loud and solid.
  7. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis

You know..... by saying that you are making a very strong and unanswerable business case for manufacturing them in china, same as ashdown and behringer, etc .

And I see folks complaining about chinese manufacturing of everything under the sun.

Not quite jumping your case, but I think you see the point.....
  8. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I get it. I don't feel like your jumping my case. You pointed out a perfect example.

I know I have said in other posts that it kinda bothers me that companies that have always manufactured their products in the States is sending their manufacturing over seas to China. I think it was Peavey that we were discussing.

I also said I understand why they are doing it and I can't really knock Peavey for it. It's the only way they are going to stay profitable.

It's probably only a matter of time before St. Louis Music moves crate manufacturing to China and probably the the low end Ampeg stuff.

It's inevetible.
  9. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    SRX-I am hoping that it is not inevitable...the Chinese manufaturing business model exists and like you said, is being used with success.

It is my hope that Ampeg and other American companies can come up with a method to keep manufacturing here and increase profits.

I don't know how, but there has to be a way.

(For my international friends reading this, excuse my American Pride).
  10. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I hope for the same thing too. I just see the trend going that way.
  11. I've heard rumors that say the Ampeg B series is on it's way to Chinese production. Can anyone confirm this?