Ampeg B100R or BA115?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Aug 17, 2004.

1. I'm not sure which one I should get, both have great reviews, advice please? I play mainly rock/metal.

2. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    I have used both. And still prefers the B100 Rocket. Which is, for me, one of the best budget combo amp on the market. By far.
  3. Alright, I was doing some more research, and the rocket is growing in appeal. It even has more gain than the ba115 :D
  4. how about an Ampeg B2? I got one I really need to get rid of to make room for the new rig.
  5. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Do you want a tweeter? Or no? If yes get the BA115, if no get the B100R. Otherwise they are almost identical.
  6. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I use and love the B-50R. Since getting it, my "big rig" has seen increasingly less use. GREAT amps at any price. Their relatively low cost is just the icing on the cake.
  7. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I tried a B100R, & thought it was ok... But, I've got a BA115SP, which has a multiple channel effects module. Some are very useful, others are useless. One of these effects is SVT mode, & is pretty much how I run this amp full time. Sounds pretty decent for a crappy little combo, I keep the gain high w/ about a 50/50 blend.
  8. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    The B100R is more vintage sounding, the BA115 is more modern sounding, so kinda depends on the tone your after. For me, the B100R was a lot better sounding, but I prefer that older tone. You may not agree. Both great amps for the money, and the B100R is my recomendation, its the one I choose when faced with this same option, but like I said, pretty subjective.
  9. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Another vote for the B-100R. I love the retro look and "Old School" tone. It is a great amp for the money and seems to hold its value pretty well. I've had mine for 5 years now and it has been bomb proof.
  10. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Hehehe, one review of the B-100R said you could use it as a jack stand for a car no problem hehe. They are built like tanks :)
  11. Personally I'd go for the balls.
  12. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    The B100R has a better resale value if you ever upgrade. I love 'em and have two!

If you only have one amp though, the built-in DI and tilt-back feature of the BA115 is very cool.

They are generally available at a local music store, check out both...

13. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    If I were looking for the ideal combo for metal, I'm not sure it would be a 115 in the first place.

Something like one of those Gallien Krueger 210's would be my pick--faster response when playing with a pick and perhaps a bit more longevity since one large speaker isn't doing all the work.

Just my 0.02.
  14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    As much as I love my B-100R (I use it every day) and like the BA115s, how you will use it is key. How loud will you need whatever you use to be?

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have the B 100 R and i can say it is a very reliable amp, it is on the heavy side but it is very solid sounding with that great Vintage Ampeg sound.
  16. I was looking at that, but I live in hawaii and shipping would be a bitch, I don't want to pay shipping for something 50+ pounds. So I'm pretty much stuck with whats on this island :meh:

Thanks for the responses guys. My mom is taking me around the island shop hunting (Id go myself but i hate driving out in town) next thursday so I'll see what the stores have. I'd like to get a 210 but if I don't have the $$ by then I'll go with the 100r/115, I'll make sure to try them out first.

And if they don't carry those...well then...f*ck :D
  17. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Here's an idea--keep an eye out for someone with a PA bin that they're not using. Something with a 15" in it. Sometimes bars have ones they're not using.

If you can find one of those for cheap (PA bins are usually less expensive than bass cabs, go figure) you could just buy a head and slap it on top--then your shipping would be a lot less since you'd only be ordering a 20lb head. Plus, you'd probably get more watts than if you just got a combo. You might need to get the horn twidled with or disconnected if it has one.

Anyway, just an idea.
  18. Deaj

Aug 15, 2004
    Kingston, WA
    I have a B-50R and love it! That said it's an old school sound and the B-100R is the same flavor. The B-110R is not likely well suited for metal. Just one opinion.
  19. Yeah that's what I'm thinkin now, glad I made this thread.
  20. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Another vote for the B100R.
    Use it for Old School vibe, this amp loves passive basses with flatwound strings.