Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg b100r speaker "pop"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tightbidness, Oct 14, 2003.

1. I have two Ampeg b100r combos. The newer of the two (which was shipped from Bass NW in Seattle to me in Massachusetts last week) produces a loud speaker "pop" when it's powered down. The older amp does not pop. I called Bass NW and the gentleman who answered the phone said this is not a problem. The receptionist for the service department at Ampeg suggested that I take the amp to a local service center. What do you all think? Anyone else have a b100r that pops? I've experienced this with SWR (when turning the heads on IIRC) but never with Ampeg. Thanks for your time.

2. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I also had an anoying POP...

...until my MOM got divorced!!

Sorry... too easy to let it go!!!!!:D :cool:
    (Credits to Billy Sheehan)

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    My BA115SP does that, too.

4. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Ok, back to the question:

I don´t have one of those, but some amps made POP sounds when you turn them ON/OFF, and that´s normal.
    If the guys at Ampeg told you to take it to a service center, maybe you should do it. If I where you, I´ll do it, because you said the other B100R has never sound like that.

Good luck.

5. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    My B-100R pops when I turn it off. Always has. It doesn't bother me and doesn't seem to do any harm. But, if it makes you feel better, take it to a dealer and have them check it out... oh, and tell me what they say;)

6. Mine does that too. Suppose you could have a relay installed to soak up the power spike causing that problem--many high-end amps have them to avoid speaker damage--but you could avoid the trouble by just turning the volume down before you turn off the amp. Seems to work for me.

7. FuturePrimitive

FuturePrimitive Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Rochester, NY
    Mine does it too. Always has, every time. Doesn't seem to be a problem.

8. LOL, CaracasBass!

Thanks for your replies everyone.

Hmmm, the POP occurs no matter where the volume is set. I'm going to give Ampeg a call again tomorrow during normal working business hours and see if I can get a more knowledgeable person on the phone.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The only noise I get is the click of the power toggle switch. No pop.

10. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I had that problem with my SWR Bass 350 head, the service tech says the power switch arcs when turning off and produces the POP before the power dissapates. for a while I tried turning down the master volume and waiting a few seconds before turning off. The service tech put a capacitor across? the switch to absorb the arc and NO MORE POP!

Does each amp have a different power switch?

11. F*#$NA4

F*#$NA4

Jul 11, 2003
    Chicago
    I have had my b100r for almost 5 years and the pop occured since day one. It is not a big deal that amp is rock solid and reliable as Fu%&. It does not affect the sound so.........
    no worries

12. OK, I spoke to the "cabinet guy'" at SLM/Ampeg this afternoon and he said the pop occurs because the b100r is built without a relay. As to why some pop and some do not, he attributes that to parts tolerances. I know little about electronics, so I'll have to take his word for it.

13. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I just picked up a used B100R yesterday...so far it's really shaping up to be a great rehearsal amp...oh, yeah, mine pops, too. I'm thinking I'll send a email to Jerrold Tiers and see what he can find out.

Love the tone on this amp, and as I said before I needed something more portable than my stage rig that I can rehearse with - although @ 63 lbs. it's not exactly light, it's still much more portable than hauling cabs/rack unit to the truck. This is just one more indicator (to me) that Ampeg is worth the money for working bassists.

14. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I also own a pair of these riotous rockets.
    Are you thinking about giging the dual, B-100 setup?

15. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
  16. zekmoe

zekmoe

Nov 9, 2005
    Mine does as well. I always thought it was the capaciters dicharging. Some amps do this more noticably than others.

17. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Mine's a popper.

Wouldn't you like to be a popper too?

18. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Well, even though I answered this thread almost 3 years ago.:meh:
    Mines still popin' and i'm still in love with it.:hyper:

19. I was thinking about it but never tried the pair. Have you run them in tandem?

20. Congrats. It's a cool little amp. A bit of an update, the older amp I mention in the first post started popping eventually. My brother's B-100R never did pop.

Also if you don't already have them get some casters. They vastly improve the portability of the amp.