1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ampeg b2r cuts out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alec_mcmahon, Sep 1, 2008.

1. alec_mcmahon

alec_mcmahon

May 24, 2008
    i own a ampeg b2r that has been trouble free for the past 6 years or so.

@ my last rehearsal it would cut out randomly, but then come back after like 10-20 seconds or so.

The amp isnt shutting down, all the lights stay on, and it's still getting a signal to my compressor and korg tuner, the only thing not functioning is sound coming out of the cab.

any ideas? i dont know where to start.

2. overheat?

3. alec_mcmahon

alec_mcmahon

May 24, 2008
    is there some sort of " fan " i could throw in my rack to keep it cool then ?

4. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    Your fan is toast. Replace it. DigiKey has them cheap. I think their minimum order is $25 so order up to that amount. Or PM me, I have some extras.

5. Rushfan-nLV

Rushfan-nLV

Mar 31, 2010
    The one I just picked up is having the same issue. Any idea which fan (out of the 603) to order from Digikey? Mophead, do you still have some extras?

6. jlt5x

jlt5x Supporting Member

May 8, 2007
    chicagoland
    I had that exact amp and the exact issue. It was the input jack. Had it replaced and fixed it.

7. wetzelman1

wetzelman1

Feb 12, 2009
    B2r's seem notorious for jack issues, one of my outputs was toast, fortunately only needed one. I've heard that the effects look jacks frequently go bad as well as the input. Probably why they're able to produce them so cheaply.

8. You could have a blockage in your cooling system. After a while the heat sink fins can become clogged with dirt and other crud. Might just need to be vacuumed out.

Paul

9. dubcut

dubcut

May 17, 2010
    If it is heinput jack,you can force the problem to happen...

As another thread revealed, my ampeg problems have usually been cold/dirty joints.

I would pull it out and once-over it with a soldering iron. Older ampegs had a tendancy to need a touch up fom time to time, and newer ones are plagued with the problems associates with 'washing' solder on an assembly line(as do the other "st louis music" import amps).

We were the primary repair center for all three music stores here in town for years. Other than solder touch-up, check for loose components on the board, some of the mid-sized caps are not secured to the board other than by the solder joint. Sitting atop of a vibratig cabinet can cause issues.

Forgive the poor typing, I'm downloading a butt load of tunes...