1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg B4r qusetion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KingFish22, Mar 25, 2013.

1. KingFish22

KingFish22

Jan 11, 2013
    Hey guys, I recently acquired a B4R. I have the SVT 610LHF cabinet, and I was wanting to know the best way to connect the amp to the cab, so that I can run with the full potential of the head and the cabinet together. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

2. I run my B4R into an SVT 810 cab, and I run it mono-bridged. The B4R has 2 power amps, that can be bi-amped if running 2 cabs, or can be mono-bridged when running one. To run it in this mode, you'll need to use a Speak-on cable if the head is equipped with a speak-on jack (the heads that were imported to Europe have the speak-on.) or banana plugs to speak-on, which are the norm in North America. You can purchase a banana plug to speak-on cable, but their hard to find, or you can easily make your own, which I did. The mono-bridge mode harnesses the full power of the head.

Hope this helps.

3. MXP553

MXP553

Dec 6, 2013
    Indiana, USA
    I just bought one of these..I run a 4x10TVX and 1x15TX Peavey set of cabs..Each is 8 ohms..I was thinking Bridged with the 1K running at 4 ohms with both cabs. If i run it unbridged I'm only getting 250 watts a side at 8 ohms. Correct? If I run it bridged will the cross over be 1K with the highs and lows seprated? Lots of configs with this amp. But I'm sick of modern amps rated at 600Watts that can't blast past my old Hartke 3500!

4. MXP553

MXP553

Dec 6, 2013
    Indiana, USA
  5. Been wrestling with this too. Gotta get the 1K watts out of this thing and I have two 8-ohm cabs. Assuming the domestic version with no Speakon connectors, I was told...

1. Wire 12g wire to a dual banana plug...the 1/4" or Speakon connector on the other end goes to cab #1.

2. Wire 12g wire to a second dual banana plug...the 1/4" or Speakon connector on the other end goes to cab #2.

3. Piggyback the banana plugs into the two RED monobridge outputs on the back of the amp.

3a....Dual banana plugs have a small flag on one side of the plug. Convention calls for wiring the ground (black) to this side of the twin-pronged plug. Make sure this is wired AND inserted correctly...both flags on the same side and plugged into the negative terminal.

4. Push the mono/stereo button *** IN *** so you're now running monobridged.

5. The bi-amp/full range button has to be *** OUT ***, in Full Range mode.

This should provide the 4-ohm load in monobridged mode driving both cabs. Unfortunately, this will not get highs and lows separated to the two cabs. I believe the only way to do that is in stereo/bi-amped mode so the crossover knob on the front can control that feature. Problem is that you can only get 500W output at 2-ohms in this mode. Almost positive monobridged mode was meant for nothing but sheer power for the full range 810e cab...maybe the 410HLF too.

PS: Gotta be 12g wire (well, maybe 14)...regular speaker wire cannot handle the 1,000 watts.

PPS: The Ampeg techs are available at techmail@loudtechinc.com