1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg BA500 or PF-500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sheldo99, Jan 6, 2012.

1. sheldo99

sheldo99

Jan 6, 2012
    First time post.

I currently gig with an Ampeg BA500 but was thinking of changing to a small stack like a PF-500 mainly to split up the weight. Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Solid head. I'd do it if I were you.

3. if the loss in weight is worth the money spent to you, then do it!

Otherwise, to my knowledge, it's not like you'd be making an upgrade in other areas like features or power. so, if you really want to lose some extra weight in your rig I'd go for it, if it's just something you're "thinking of", I would recommend against it.

4. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    I have done the Ampeg BA500 for gigs (just one) and I will NEVER again use it. Not loud enough to say the least. Is it loud enough for you? Going the head/cab route is a better idea in the long run, but if the BA 500 is working great for you, no need to spend the money.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If the BA500 is working for you, the PF stack will crush for you. Lighter, sounds better, looks cooler. The BA500 is a good combo but the PF heads and cabs sound so much like the old B-15's it's crazy. If you want to get a light Ampeg rig with some balls, the PF stuff is amazing IMHO.

6. Yup, I'd do it too. That BA500 is a 100lbs, a PF500 and a light 2x10 cab would be at least half the weight.

7. sheldo99

sheldo99

Jan 6, 2012
    OK thanks for the great feedback. While out looking I came across a Ampeg SVT 15E cabinet for real cheap. I was told that I shouldn't use it as an extension to the BA500 because of it being 8 ohms.

First is this true? The BA500 is rated at 500 watts into 2 ohms (both would be 2.67).

Second has anyone used the SVT 15E alone and with what head?

8. sheldo99

sheldo99

Jan 6, 2012
    Ok the Ampeg rep just told me all would be fine in the universe with the two hooked up.

Buy since my original idea was to replace the BA500 any suggestions on a head? I was thinking a FP500 or BR2.

Thoughts?

9. PF500 into a SVT15e is a nice sounding rig.

I use this setup for acoustic and coffee house gigs.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    PF500 for sure.

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    BA500 is 2 ohm stable, and internal 2x10 is 4 ohms. Using an 8 ohm 1x15 with it, will not destroy the universe, but it will be unbalanced, to a degree. A better alternative to adding an 8 ohm 1x15 to the BA500 would be a 4 ohm 2x10 ext cab, but better still, dump the whole thing and go with the PF500 and a pair of 15's.