1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg bass cab advice.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fsbassist1, Jun 25, 2012.

1. fsbassist1

fsbassist1

Mar 29, 2012
    North Carolina
    I know one of the bass amp standards is the Ampeg Classic head paired up with an Ampeg 810 cab but I'm trying to get similar sound with a smaller cab. Right now I am running an Ampeg classic head through 2, 410 SWR workingman cabs (Impedance is 8 ohms so I have to run both cabinets to achieve a 4 ohm impedance). I'm not getting the Ampeg 810 purely because of the pain of lugging it around, not because of the cost. I'm looking to buy a used cab in the 400-700 price range. What 410 cabs would sound good with my Ampeg Classic head?

Thanks!

2. fsbassist1

fsbassist1

Mar 29, 2012
    North Carolina
    Also, what are the major sound differences in the Ampeg PN-410HLF and the SVT 410hlf? I understand that the SVT was created to sound great with the SVT-Cl but I'm wondering how the PN will sound

3. bassguy72

bassguy72

Sep 7, 2011
    Well I use for one of my rigs a pn410 paired with a 7 pro,and for the other a heritage svt paired with a pn 210/115.......these type of cabs are very evenly balanced and clear sounding......no mud....

4. fsbassist1

fsbassist1

Mar 29, 2012
    North Carolina
    How's the low end of the pn410 compared to the svt410? Clear sounding with no mud would be great for me. I'm sure it would sound great with the grit from the svt-cl

5. bassguy72

bassguy72

Sep 7, 2011
    From what I've heard the 410 hlf has a very deep low end........

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It does. Gigantic, about as low as it gets. Except for the PN115hlf, the PN cabs would be more up fsbassist's alley, judging from their frequency responses. Not played them, but the description I've heard is "Sounds like Ampeg only a little cleaner." Not the cheapest cabs on the market and way out of his price range for two, but since he asked...