1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg "Blue Line Valve amp"????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Petebass, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm doing an interstate gig this weekend where the backline is supplied. The bass rig specs are, and I quote:-

"* 1 x Ampeg 810 cabinet
    * 1 Ampeg Blue Line Valve Head"

I know what to expect from the 810 but have never heard of the Ampeg Blue Line Valve head. A quick TB and google search yielded nothing.

Can anyone give me any info about this amp?

2. Im guessing its the SVT-VR. (it has the blue lined banner around the controls, and its tube) Seems like they could have had a better description.

3. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    It could be the VR, or the very early SVT it's designed to look like.
    http://www.angelfire.com/music5/ampegsvt/images/101_0182.JPG

Either way, I sure as heck wouldn't mind.;)

4. "Blue Line" is a collector/dealer made up term that refers to late 60's Ampeg amps that used blue ink graphics on their faceplates, most specifically, the SVT. There is NO correllation between any difference in circuits between these and later versions, nor does having a blue faceplate mean that an amp will have better tone or volume. The term is now thrown around in current ads for the SVT VR, which is most likely the amp in question.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Thanks guys. I like to familiarise myself with the amp's features beforehand in this situation, just so I'm not running around the stage at the last minute trying to fins someone who can tell me what the "insert obscure name" control does. I'll pull up a pic of the SVT VR later and see what it's got.

6. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    With my SVT, I prefer all tone knobs set (very near) to the center position.
    I sometimes boost the mid knob for more clean-cut, and sometimes also boost my
    (active P-basses) bass knob for a fuzz-tone, but its pretty much a "plug and play" amp.

7. okabass

okabass

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland,Lahti
    HI
    Just like my SVT-clone. It might then be quite close soundwise to the Ampeg. It only needs sometimes bass and mid tweak depending on the acoustics.
    http://www.okabass.suntuubi.com/?cat=8

8. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps

Exactly. Just go through the regular Channel One, make sure the bass boost is off, and set the midrange rocker to the lowest position. Plug and play your heart out.

9. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I agree with bass boost off, but the mid switch is to taste, n'est pas?

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Gotcha! Bass boost off, and I'll probably start with everything in the centre. From there I can adjust to taste.

As it turns out the amp is only going to be a monitor for the band, so the amp isn't crutial for this gig. The FOH is taken care of by a rather large PA, and I'll have my In-Ear monitors with me so I'm not worried about hearing myself.

Thanks for all the input, I can relax now. Should be a fun weekend.............. :)

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yep, it was indeed a current model SVT-VR. With the protective casing included, the rig was almost as tall as me :)

I must say of the "backline suppplied" amps I've played through, this one was easily the best. I've not been a fan of tube amps over the years - and truth be told I still prefer the sound of my current SS rig to this one - but I do have a new appreciation for this particular amp. Not enough to go buy one, but enough to understand why other people do :)

Thanks for your help guys.