1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg Cab Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by moten33, Aug 28, 2012.

1. moten33

moten33

Jan 7, 2012
    Albion, NY
    I just purchased two Ampeg cabs to pair with my Ampeg PF-350 Portaflex head. I will be upgrading the head next but I have an issue with the cabs I purchased (SVT410HLN and SVT210 PRO). I bought these used at a great price so I did not take the normal time for due dilligence. I was hoping to run both cabs off the head but the 410 is rated at 4ohm and the 210 at 8ohms. Now what would you recommend? Alter the 410 to an 8ohm rating? Just use the 410 and use the 210 as a backup? Thanks!

2. You will not be able to modify the 410 to 8 Ohms with out replacing all of the drivers. This isnt a great choice economically as you could just buy a different 410 and not deal with the hassle.

That said I wouldnt pair an 8 Ohm 410 with an 8 Ohm 210. You will be pushing twice as much power through the speakers in the 210. A good recipe for blowing a cab. On top of that you will be limited to the power handling of the 210, which wont net you much if any extra volume over the 410 you currently have.

What head are you planning on upgrading to? Depending on this choice, my recommendation would be to work on finding a matching 210 to the one you have, and then stack two 210's vertically, then ditch your 410.

3. moten33

moten33

Jan 7, 2012
    Albion, NY
    I am not not sure on the head upgrade yet. Something Ampeg and more power than the 350. Probably whatever I can find for a good deal used. :)

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    With a 4 ohm 410, and 8 ohm 210, any amp you use would HAVE TO be able to handle a 2 ohm load. With a 2 ohm stable head, the 2 cabs will work. Whether or not they sound good together is another thing, only trying them will you know. 2 identical cabs is ALWAYS the safe bet, as they will always pair well.