Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg Direct-Out Quality

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joeybcdt, May 17, 2004.

1. joeybcdt

joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    I've been running direct out of the back of my GK 700RB. Our sound man has liked my signal.

I'll soon start using an SVP Pro / power amp. I read on a live sound forum that Ampeg direct-outs are worse than GK and SWR. Is this true?

2. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    The DI out on my old Ampeg SVT200TH has always been noisy as heck. So much so that I've never been able to use it. Granted the 200TH ain't the SVT Pro by a long shot but it may be symptomatic of all Ampeg DI's and serves to confirm what you've already read about Ampeg DI's. YMMV.

3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I cant comment on any of those because I dont have any experience. Just try the DI on the Ampeg. If you are not happy with the sound then invest in a good direct box. IMO they are an indispensable piece of gear. I use a Countryman and I love it. I highly recommend getting the best DI you can though.

4. joeybcdt

joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas

I have a couple of good active direct boxes already. That's not a problem. I just like giving my sound man my signal after my amp instead of before the amp. Is it OK to run a DI from the preamp output?

5. I had the SVP pro. I thought the sound quality of the DI was ok, but it needed alot of volume on the mixer (almost cranked) compared to less then half for other amps I've owned. I don't know the reason for this.

6. joeybcdt

joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    Thinking a little. Tell me if I'm wrong.

I could come out of the main output to a DI for a "Post" send to FOH. Or I could come out of the Effects Send for "Pre" send to FOH.

7. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I used to use an Ampeg B2R head and now am using a BBE BMax preamp (pre/power setup) and have received comments that the BBE one sounds a lot better.

8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I am not sure about other DIs but the Countryman can go before or after your amp. :cool:

9. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i have an ampeg b4r and i use it in the studio direct, which is probably the best place to judge sound. I liked it better than the countryman direct boxes we had in teh studio. Ill admit i love the ampeg tone over all other bass amps, but if nothing else it does the job. If your touring thats one less peice of equipment to lose or to break so it will probably do the job if nothing else. Alot of people get super tied up on how perfect their sound is, but honestly as long as you think it sounds alright no one in the audience is gonna notice the difference between an avalon a5 or u5 and an ampeg direct box. If your recording its a different story but on the road balance what makes your ears happy and whats easy.

10. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    When I first got my SVT III Pro in '94, the sound guys had an attitude about Ampeg DIs and wanted to mike my cabs. After a few gigs I asked them to try taking it direct. They loved it and never went back to micing the cabs. I've used it for recording and had no noise issues. Mayhaps I am just lucky...but mine works quite well.

Kim

11. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    I havent had a problem with my B2R's direct out.... sounds fine with our shows so far.