1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg folded horn cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KLEIN, Apr 5, 2009.

1. KLEIN

KLEIN

Apr 4, 2009
    Lakewood CA
    Endorsing: Schecter Basses
    Im looking for an ampeg 215 folded horn cab to use in conjunction with my current rig. I use an 810 cab with my SVT 4pro head. This head is said to be biampable, so I can have two cabs; 810 cab for the mids and highs and all the lows to the 215s.

2. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Sounds like overkill to me.

3. KLEIN

KLEIN

Apr 4, 2009
    Lakewood CA
    I just want to do a little science experement. I want to see how much power I can produce from this type of configuration. There is no reason for me to lug around that many cabs to gig or anything. Im not a power hungry bassist, I just want to test this idea.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
  5. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Famous last words:

"Im not a power hungry bassist, I just want to test this idea." :bassist: :eek:

Another guy who said "I want to see how much power I can produce from this type of configuration."

:bag: :D :)

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    What you'd find out is that, while the 810 does have much better mids and highs than the V4B, the V4B doesn't have much better lows than the 810. The V4B folded horn is half the length required to deliver significantly better lows than a direct radiator, though it is pretty efficient in the midbass. The V4B subjectively seems to have deeper lows than an 810, but only because it has less mids and almost no highs.

7. KLEIN

KLEIN

Apr 4, 2009
    Lakewood CA
    Thank you for the links. I will definetly check out the B-52s! They have better speakers in them anyway. But I could also put better speakers in the ampeg folded horn too right?

8. No.
    The horn is still too short, no matter what drivers are installed.

9. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    I vaguely recall that those Ampeg folded horn cabs were loaded with a pair of Altec Lansing 421A 15" woofers, which were premium grade drivers in their day.

From what I gather, cabs & drivers must be matched to achieve a good sound.

I believe one of the points Mr. Fitzmaurice was making is that the design of these particular folded horn cabs is deficient when it comes to their putting out deeper lows than those of an Ampeg 8X10".

Back when I started playing, large W boxes (and scoop bins) of various designs were a common sight on many poorly sound reinforced stages--much as the ubiquitous 4X10" + 1X15" cab combination is to-day.

It would seem that many electric bassists have a penchant for the big and the bizarre--and the LOUD! :bassist: :D