1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg Micro-VR or BA-115?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shake-n-bake, Oct 27, 2013.

1. shake-n-bake

shake-n-bake

Jul 18, 2008
    Toronto
    So i recently bought a new Micro-VR with matching 210AV cabinet.

The sound is very good, but lacks a little bit in the low end. I went to my local music store yesterday and tried a 70s classic P bass through a BA-115, and it sounded excellent.

I mainly use the Micro-VR for home practice, and would use the BA-115 for the same purpose. Should I take back the Micro-VR and get the BA-115 instead? That would leave me with an extra couple hundred dollars in my pocket to put towards a new bass, too.

What do you guys think?

2. If you liked the BA115 more why is there a question ;)

3. shake-n-bake

shake-n-bake

Jul 18, 2008
    Toronto
    Good point. I guess I am wondering if other people have had similar experiences, and if the BA-115 would suit my needs for home practice.

4. BA115 should carry you through home practice to small gigs. It's not as "cute" as the Micro VR but not bass shy like the 210AV cabs. If it's too big of a cube for your liking you could also look at the BA112?

5. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    both will offer something that the other wont .. the sealed 210 will not get you the deeper lows that the ported 115 is capable of, but the ported 115 will not give you the tight, quick, focused response of the sealed 210 ... then it is up to you to decide where your need is .. and which can come closest to what you hear in your head .. JMHO

6. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I prefer the little VR halfstack myself. What is your goal? If your goal is to jam with others, then I would give a VR a shot at that before making a move. The clarity of it should add to your ability to hear it over drums, guitars and vocals.
    That's just me though. If a darker, deeper sound is what you want then return if for the BA-115.

7. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I picked up the Micro-VR used from the classified section here, and also use it for home practice. I love the tone. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong with pretty much any Ampeg.

8. shake-n-bake

shake-n-bake

Jul 18, 2008
    Toronto
    Thanks for all the advice. I returned it and got the BA-115 and am really liking the sound more than the Micro-VR.

The fact that the signal from the aux input comes out the speaker instead of just the headphones is also a huge plus for me, AND I now have a $250 store credit to put towards a new bass. Win, win, win.