1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ampeg micro vr

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by engineer36, Sep 24, 2010.

1. engineer36

engineer36

Aug 14, 2010
    thoughts and opinions on ampeg micro vr with the svt 210 av cab
    looking to upgrade from my line 6 studio 110

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    quite good. great sounding head. cab sounds like 1/4 of an svt 810e, but it could use a second 210av to beef it up some.

3. engineer36

engineer36

Aug 14, 2010
    thanks

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    What are you looking to do with this new amp? If it's just a practice amp replacement, it's fine, but if you want to jam with drums and guitars, you'll need 2 of those cabs- unless everyone you play with has control. Most young players don't.

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The Micro SVT head:
    the eq isn't hugely wide ranging, but it sounds great.
    the 210AV cab:
    amazingly light. doesn't go hugely low, but has great low mid punch.

The two together aren't terribly loud, but add a second cab, and it's really quite enough to do a lot of my club gigs. If you want classic ampeg tone, in a light, portable package, this really does that well.

6. engineer36

engineer36

Aug 14, 2010
    thanks everyone, thats exactly what im looking for chef

7. engineer36

engineer36

Aug 14, 2010
    for about the same money i can pick up a used svt3pro and cab, i know this is a better setup but it may be too much if there is such a thing, is playing this setup at a 1/4 of its potential a bad thing?

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  9. engineer36

engineer36

Aug 14, 2010
    thanks for the review

10. Hey there. I've read a couple of the threads posted about the micro head, so I thought I might ask you a question or two, if that's ok.

Ok, right now, I have an ampeg b2-re. Looking to replace it because its starting to go, and Im looking for something a little different. I came across this little guy, and just wondered how it stacks up against the b2 volume wise, and if I could still get a similar sound from it. Id be running it through an ampeg svt410, with the gain a smidge higher than the volume, the mids cut, and the bass and treble around 7 to 9. As it is, I rarely have to put my volume past halfway.

Any help would be amazing.

11. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    I just played one yesterday. I loved it - and I generally don't like like Ampeg - but it's growing on me. I use a Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0-10T/Shuttle 110 Extension now so I like/use smaller rigs. I like to have a more "modern" sound for some things I do so I am currently using my Genz with a SansAmp PBDDI and getting a nice sound. That little stack is damn cute though - and gets pretty loud.