1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg Modz

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xPaulx, Mar 11, 2009.

1. xPaulx

xPaulx

Mar 11, 2009
    Kunckletown, Pa
    Im looking at buying a Ampeg Svt Classic and I would like to see if I could put a peice of plexiglass in the front, running some lcd light into to so you can see the tubes.

Doing something like this.

2z4kzn4.

I think it would be awesome to do, I've seen some bands I've played with do this... but than again there heads had tons of pretubes.

let me know!

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Wrong forum dude.

3. xPaulx

xPaulx

Mar 11, 2009
    Kunckletown, Pa
    My bad im new to using any sort of forum what would I put this under? amps?

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yep.

5. xPaulx

xPaulx

Mar 11, 2009
    Kunckletown, Pa
    Alright I'll change it!

6. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Since you didn't make a new one, I'll move this to amps for you.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think that would look pretty cool. definitely post some pics.

8. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    If I remember the layout of my classic you can't really see the power tubes from the front of the amp, even if the grill wasn't there. My biggest concern would be the fan since there isn't much room to mount it anywhere but front and center behind the grill cloth. I don't know if you'd have room to mount it on the back like the vintage amps. Plus without the grill there isn't room to move the air unless you drill some holes in the plastic or elsewhere in the box. If you can get around the fan and mount some leds in there I think it would look bad a** for sure.

9. xPaulx

xPaulx

Mar 11, 2009
    Kunckletown, Pa
    sorry mark Im new and it was 6:20 when I got off, and I didnt know how to move it.

And as for the Plexiglas in the front to see the tubes I thought on the classic the tubes are behinde the grill its just wood with a hole in the middle with the cloth part in the center for air to move.

so what I was thinking was taking out the whole wooden grill part putting that plexiglas in drilling holes in the milddle as if the hole in the real was there and putting the lcd lights in the front like stapled in. Im pretty sure it would word but im not 100% sure.:meh:

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Right. The fan would totally ruin the aesthetic, not to mention it would blow dirt on the plexiglas on the inside. You would probably be better off with a VR or a vintage SVT to get that glow. Their fan is on the back.