1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg Opto Comp Version Differences?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sammy_frm_Miami, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Sammy_frm_Miami

Sammy_frm_Miami

Nov 12, 2017
    Sorry folks. I was looking at pre-production mockup pictures and not different versions of the Opto Comp. (never mind...)
    :rollno:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  2. Txnrcr

Txnrcr

Feb 2, 2017
    North Texas
    The first 4 pics you posted are rendered 3D models of the product. Probably used for advertising before production units were available.
    The last pic is an actual unit. It is white, just something about the lighting that makes it look a little off white.

I think there is only one version of production units.

I have one. Really like it. Looks like your last pic.

JW

3. Txnrcr

Txnrcr

Feb 2, 2017
    North Texas
    BTW, the jacks are bolted to the case.
    That is a black plastic bushing you are seeing there.

JW

4. Txnrcr

Txnrcr

Feb 2, 2017
    North Texas
    Hey Sammy,
    I could see your pics fine.
    What I was saying about them is that the pedal you are seeing in those pics is not an actual real life product at all.
    It is a computer created image of what Ampeg wants it to look like. A virtual reality pedal.
    These are created by rendering the 3D engineering CAD models Ampeg was developing.
    They are very good and look convincing, but not the real deal.
    The artificial illumination of the LEDs is the real give away.
    I work with this same stuff in my day job.

A manufacturer may use these virtual images of a product for advertising on a new release due to production units not being ready for photographs.

Rest assured the last photo is a real pic of a real opto comp, and to my knowledge, the only version of production units out there.

5. Sammy_frm_Miami

Sammy_frm_Miami

Nov 12, 2017
    Thanks, JW. They sure looked real!

6. Txnrcr

Txnrcr

Feb 2, 2017
    North Texas
    You’re welcome.
    Yes, they are very well done models. Amazing what can be done virtually with today’s software.

JW