1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg or Gallien Krueger?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Argonot, May 16, 2011.

1. Argonot

Argonot

May 11, 2011
    Hi to everyone.

I've decided to buy an amplifier combo but I'm unsure about which one I will pick up. I have 2 options right now:

- Ampeg BA115 BassAmp Series 1x15 (100W)
    OR
    - Gallien Krueger MB115 Ultralight 1x15 (200W)

I'm in a tribute band to System of a Down and I need the amp for small gigs in bars and clubs. Which one would you recommend?

2. You should go in to a guitar center and play both but I can tell you right now the mb115 is going to win it over. You'll find the increased headroom nice and the fact that it can get dirty without needing a pedal in your chain. But if your playing SOAD I would make sure to test run each in the drop tunings they do.

3. Ozzey

Ozzey

Nov 23, 2008
    I can only speak from the Ampeg side of things, but basically: don't get the Ampeg (this particular model, anyway). Too little headroom, not far enough volume to use safely without risking a blown speaker, and the tone just seemed to leave something to be desired.

4. ddbassGA

ddbassGA Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    You can get good tone from the Ampeg BA115, but it is not powerful enough to do what you want by itself, and it can't take an extension cab.

5. Bass FreeLee

Bass FreeLee

Jan 27, 2011
    Destin,FL
    "I Slap-AhH Da Bass MOn!
    They BOth sound good- have there own characteristics- but the GK is gunna be louder

6. spackle

spackle

May 13, 2011
    If you're going to have PA support the MB115 'might' do the job. Honesty it sounds nice up to a certain volume, not so nice after. I just sold mine after my buddy lent me his markbass cmd115 for few weeks & going back to the GK I realized how little power it had to keep up with a heavy hitting drummer. I was able to coax a little more headroom from the GK with a compressor pedal + sansamp bddi. If you're playing with a reasonably loud drummer & 2 electric guitars I think you'll serve yourself better spending the $400 on a used 300w-450w head with a 1x15 or 4x10 cab. The extra power can really make the difference between your bass having some punch w/out needing to be too loud or having something bordering on a bodyless loud mushy fart.
    Just my .02 after suffering in the 200w combo limbo for 1.5yrs