1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg PF-20T to (power) amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zbysek, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Do you remember not wanting opening the box on Christmas when you were kid? I thought the magic would be lost when I open it... That's me right now! :)

Wisebass likes this.
  2. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    thumbnail_20181201_181738. thumbnail_20181201_181652. thumbnail_20181201_181619. thumbnail_20181201_181708. thumbnail_20181201_181726.
    So I tried it out yesterday:
    Cabs: one PF115HE, one PF210HE
    head: PF50T
    head: Micro VR

The bass went into the PF50T.
    - tranny out >> p.a.
    - preamp out (post) >> Return Send of the Micro VR (using a simple XLR to jack microphone cable)
    - Micro VR feeding the two Portaflex cabs

Worked very, very well indeed.
    The p.a. guy was very pleased with the sound he got from me, didn't tweak a thing.
    (My bass was very well heard by the audience, I received compliments for the sound as well)

On stage I was asked almost immediately during soundcheck to back off the volume: mission accomplished.
    Now I have loads of volume to spare, great sound on stage and great sound for the audience.

Only one thing could improve this: a PF150T, or something like it.
    The V4B is great, it's a master, but it's too wide for the Portaflex cabs and I really enjoy the 5-way mid selector that the PF50T has.

3. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I am glad it worked for you!

Have you tried feeding one cab from the PF head and second cab from the VR head?

4. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    No I haven't actually.
    It's a blend that could work.
    On the other hand, if I would stick with the volume that the PF50T can give, i'd rather go all tube with both cabs.
    When in need of extra volume, I now will go with the post #82 set-up.
    (by the way, IMHO, the Micro VR on it's own is a great head too. This of course is not really news, haha. Anyway, I use the classic Micro VR/SVT210AV set-up for rehearsals)

Zbysek likes this.