1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg pf350 rig vs fender rumble 350 rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Inky07, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Inky07

Inky07

Feb 9, 2011
    So i have checked all my local music shops and can never find these in stock to test out and i can't find enough info on a comparison so here is the question. What rig should i pick for tone reliability and volume? Fender rumble 350 w/ 2x8 cab or ampeg portaflex pf350 w/ 2x10 cab. I play mostly rock and trip hop covers through a fender deluxe P bass with a tech21 bass vt. Looking for expandability down the line with adding a second matching cab, so you get the picture.

2. PF-350 with the PF115 would be my vote.

3. I would go with the PF350. I like how simple it is. I have actually been looking at that amp myself coupled with the LF115 cab (no tweeter), but you could easily go with the 210 cab if you like.

4. mazdah

mazdah

Jan 29, 2010
    Kalisz, Poland
    I've tested Rumble 150 head (the same as 350, but with less power) with Rumble 112 cab and I have PF 350 with PF 155HE cab.

Fender had more low end, and more hi-fi sparkle (maybe because of mid cut?).
    "Rumble" is a good word to describe it - a hi-fi rumble.
    Ampeg has much more midrange and high-end (almost too much, I have to cut treble to 9 o'clock). The cab is sealed so lows are tighter and - in my opinion - more like 70's style. I'm going to buy PF-210HE and it will be my working stack. PF-210HE has even more mid punch and a little softer touch than 115HE. Great cab - I loved it even being a 2x10 hater :D

Both are great amps, I prefer Ampeg tone but Fender is no worse.

5. Inky07

Inky07

Feb 9, 2011
    This is great to know as a comparisson of general tone between the two. There is an abandance of information about the ampeg both the good and the bad, but not for the fender. My main concern with the ampeg is the issues other TBers have with cutting off. Also i have been leaning towards the fender for the ported cabs. Knowing that the fender has more bottom end is a great piece of info, was unsure if the 2x8 or the 112 could handle it . Is it still the image of the rumble considered a low end amp or does it sit in the same level as the ampeg? Also does anyone know what the watt output is on the fender 350 with one 8ohm cab? Thx

6. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    My PF-500 has not ever cut out on me. But I have not ever let it spend much time in the red. I heard about setting the Gain below that threshold and that's what I've done. Through several rehearsals and gigs, I've had no problems at all and it is plenty loud going through my Avatar 115 and 210.

7. blaze17

blaze17

Mar 13, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    I had a PF-350 and was loving the tone until it started doing the cutting out thing. I returned it for the Rumble 350 which isn't as warm sounding but is better at cutting through with a rock band. I even like its built in overdrive and it has been flawlessly dependable.

8. mazdah

mazdah

Jan 29, 2010
    Kalisz, Poland
    Last weekend I've played a louder, outdoor gig with PF 350 + PF 115HE.
    I cranked it up quite hard (gain and master at 2 o'clock and turned on the limiter.
    The limiter light was on all the time but the amp didn't cut off.

9. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    I would say strictly a tone choice - that Rumble 350 is (ime) much louder...I have more experience with the 12s - but two of those with that head = good, loud, super easy to dial in tone...

10. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    The Ampeg sounds like an Ampeg. It was designed to give you Ampeg sound with portability. The cutout issue is protection circuitry (from what I’ve read), meaning you have to dial back a bit on the GAIN/VOLUME. I don’t consider it a flaw because it’s protecting the amp from being broken by the user. People with the PF-500 are less likely to trip the protection circuit because it has more power and will provide more volume without being pushed to the threshold. The same holds true (even more so) for people running with two cabs with either the PF-350 or PF-500. I’ve tripped my PF-350 twice but I’m rehearsing with a rock band and a single 112 cab, so I’m pushing the whole rig. I was honestly too loud both times so it hasn’t been a problem since. I play with the GAIN at 2:00 and Master around 1:00 now (limiter engaged) and no problems since. Don’t have experience with the Rumble but it sounds like they made some major upgrades since they first came out.

11. Not to stray fom the OP's question/comparison or hijack this thread, but earlier to my previous post is anyone familiar with the EDEN EGRW1264 and E112 cab pairing. Price is on par with the PF350 and L115 pairing but I am unfamiliar with the tone of Eden Amps. Anyone care to opine?

12. Inky07

Inky07

Feb 9, 2011
    Thanks for all the input. From what i gather the fender might be more neutral sounding than the ampeg. That is a good thing imo. I do like the ampeg tone but need the flexibility of a more generic sounding amp. Is this a correct assessment on my part? I do realize you need to push the ampeg to the limits in order to cut off but i do tend to have a heavy hand when i get exited !!!

13. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Try them first is what I recommend. Tell the salesman to order the Fender and promise to buy one of them when it arrives. He can put the Fender on the shelf if you pick the Ampeg.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've had a PF350 for a year now and have never once been able to make it cut out, and I have tried very hard to make it cut out several times. All amps have a particular voicing, and pretty much all of them can be adjusted with the tone controls to sound more "neutral." I find the PF rig to have a more pleasant and workable overall sound than the Rumble, but that's a matter of taste, I suppose.

15. ccarter88

ccarter88

Aug 11, 2012
    I know I am a little late getting into this, but I am also looking at the PF or Rumble. I was thinking maybe the PF-500 head with the Fender 4x10 cab to get the full 500 watts from the head. Anyone using this combination?

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Getting the full 500w from your head is something I consider pointless. You won't get any extra volume...just a little extra headroom for clean tones...and when people say they want to get the full wattage from their heads, they ain't lookin' for headroom...they're lookin' for volume. If the Fender cab takes more than 400w without farting out, I would be very surprised, as that's the mark where most of them start to fart out.

17. RadioRob

RadioRob

Dec 15, 2012
    I have the PF-500 with the Fender Rumble 410
    Its louder than an 8 ohm 410. I tried it.
    And yes you get louder clean tones. The bonus is more punch.
    [​IMG]

18. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I am looking at getting this system myself. I tried that cab with a little tech 21 head, about 3lbs I guess and the cab shook the head around soo much that it almost fell of the cab twice. Do you have that problem? Also on the setup I tried I had to back of the mids all the way to get a decent sound, I wonder if that is true with your cab, or could it have just been the head I tried, after all the head was used. I should have tried it with a different head but I was in a hurry, and it is hard to go back there cause the shop is 2.5 hrs away and I am too busy to make the trek on my days of

19. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    I have the 350 head with an Acoustic B-15 MKII cab.
    The head will walk off the cab in seconds....... I set a
    1X12 on the 15 and the amp on top of the 1X12. I
    have always liked the 15 and 12 match-up.

The Rumble doesn't seem to have that problem with
    mids. It usually sounds fine set flat. I can use the shape
    buttons with good results.

Heck. I'm even getting to where I like a little of the on
    board fuzz,

Tabdog

20. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    If you like the Ampeg tone, I think you'll really like the PF350. It's got a simple effective EQ so you also have enough to get a nice warm more "neutral" tone if you're shooting for that.