1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ampeg pf500 vs gk 700rb ii

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rhon, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Rhon

Rhon

Jan 2, 2012
    Im looking to upgrade my rig and i can't decide whats the better head. i have a 4x10 8 ohm cab rated at 400 watts rms. i prefer the ampeg tone over the gk tone but i have a sansamp pedal and i feel that gets me a very good ampeg tone. i can get them for basically the same price. i want an amp that wont clip easily, i play punk and i use a pick, ive tried both heads and it kinda comes down to which amp can handle my aggressive playing and whats more reliable- things you cant find out at gc. Ive read that theres some issues about the pf500 blowing up but ive never heard of 700rb problems. i have a gk400 and i like the fact it never clipped once unless i cranked it past its limit, but i need something with more power. when i tried the ampeg pf500 it seemed to clip easier than the gk when i played more aggressively. so what do you guys recommend

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Based on your description, I'll go for the GK. That in combination with the sansamp will give you about every sound you'll ever need. And the GK is reliable, and can get incredibly loud.

3. I'll echo what will33 said and get the GK. It is much more catered to your style. I was in your exact situation just a few weeks ago. The 700RBII is a very versatile amp and can get VERY loud!!

4. htt

htt

Mar 24, 2012
    Yup! 700rbII very reliable good tone and plenty of power..

5. Rhon

Rhon

Jan 2, 2012
    thanks guys this does help a lot that ampeg pf500 looks so sweet but gk is the wiser choice

6. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I also prefer the Ampeg tone, that's why I use a Tech 21 pedal (BDDI or VT) in front of my 700 rb.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Ya, nothing against the pf, just you have most of that sound already in your sansamp. The GK is the other half and adds a different style of growl and grind. It's also an older, proven design of the sort most techs are familiar with if you ever even need one.

If you didn't already have the sansamp, you might have more choosing to do, one sort of tone or the other, but seeing as you have that, you get the GK amp and have both.