Ampeg PortaBass PBC228 Combo Amp

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by tony moore, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Has anyone tried one of these?

From the Ampeg site:

The PortaBass Series of products is engineered for the active modern bass player who values portability as well as excellent tone. PortaBass heads feature our patented Micro-Dynamic Technology (MDT) power amp circuitry. This technology eliminates bulky heat sinks and large fans because it is hyper efficient. The new PBC-228 “Carry-On” combo amp delivers 200 watts in a 2 x 8” package, and weights only 35 pounds.

Dimensions: 16x16x10
    Weight: 35 Pounds
    Preamp (Tube or Solid State): SS
    Power Amp (Micro Dynamic Technology): MDT
    RMS Power Output (4 Ohms): 200
    Tone Controls: 3 band, sweepable mid
    Balanced Line Out: Yes
    Effects Loop: Yes
    Component 1: Size: 2 x 8"

Other Features
    Line Out Level Control
    FX Blend Control
    2 Independent Input Channels
    2 Seperate EQ Sections

Seems like the perfect smaller amp for folks who double like me.

Sooooo, anyone actually played one?

2. this does seem like an interesting amp, as i double as well. looking forward to some feedback. (bump)
  3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Technically, Ampeg has it's headquarters in right here in St. Louis
    and I was told by a rep back in August that they had to get FCC
    clearance before they could put them into production. All the web retail outlets have them in stock, but I haven't seen one in a store yet.

4. I posted this in the Bass Guitar - Amps forum as well and Wilbyman posted a horrible review...

I wish I could get my hands on one, because on paper it sounds like the perfect amp for me.

5. d.Fly

d.Fly Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I love mine. It's perfect for Upright with my Rev Solo PU. For EB it's solid. you might want a bigger cabinet for larger EB gigs.

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Anybody got a link to pics of the controls on top? Is it really two channel, or just made for doubling?
  7. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Got this off of the Ampeg Site. Our (doublebassists) history with the Portabass products is not that posative, though, is it? I realize this is a new one, but the last time they came out with a line of these, we all got hopeful, but it seems it ran it's course in about 6 months and who knows how many $ spent on the experiment.

Am I wrong about that?

Attached Files:

8. I took the plunge and ordered one today. $559 with shipping from MF and I can return it if I don't like it.

It certainly can't be any worse than my old GK 200MB...

Ampeg also emailed me the manual if anyone is interested. Pmail me and I'll be happy to send it to you.

I'll post a review...

Thanks for all the input!

9. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
  10. flint

Aug 24, 2004
    so it's been a while. What do you think about the combo? I'm looking for something along these lines to gig with too.

11. I'd love to see Wilbyman's review. I was going to get one for rehearsals but someone told me they are not very good.

Can't wait............
  12. I bought one.

It arrived. It distorted at any gain and/or volume setting. Not a lot of distortion, but enough that I noticed it even with an electric jazz bass guitar. I hoped the speaker was somehow damaged so they sent me a replacement.

The replacement arrived with the same issue. I returned it for good.

Also, the sound in general was hollow, distant and just not focused.

The preamp is indeed a true 2 channel amp. Very cool features and the EQ seemed voiced nicely for both URB and EBG. If they sold just the head, I'd give it a whirl.

I have a feeling the problem lay in the cabinet or the speakers themselves, but I can't be sure...

I should say that the Ampeg folks were great to deal with. Very patient and willing to make me happy. Amazing response and customer service.

I was bummed. But it did make me realize just how usable my Raven Labs PBMII and GK MB150 rig is...