Ampeg PortaBass Single 12 Cab

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Mark Carlsen, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Tried one out tonite on the gig w. one of my regular groups.Liked the sound,but wasn't as clear as some of my other gear.
    Any comments from other users[Mr.Ray Parker?] I'm running my Woods and 2 pickups.I normaly would of used my Bose cab in this room.I do love the portability though.
  2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I wanna hear more about this cab too. I finally ordered an iAmp500 and a Full Circle from Bob G today :hyper: and can't wait to go on the cab hunt. Before ordering, I looked at youse guys comments on the PUB 280, but I wanted something that had the capability to double if I needed to.

Anyhow, I got my eye on either the 10" or 12" portabass cab. Mr. Parker likes the 12", Mr. Cho likes the 10" (tho he ended up with a PUB). I'll have to see for myself.

Yeah, I know most of youse guys have been telling me to get the EA stuff but I still like the idea of a ultra-lightweight cab for smaller events. Once I get my amp, I'll have to shoot it out since I just learned tonight that my jam buddy has a CXL-110. If the CXL wins by a huge margin, then I'll drop the other cabs altogether and get a CXL or the Wizzy. I'll give a report when I end up doing it.
  3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I like mine an awful lot. I haven't tried or heard the 10.
  4. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The iamp 500 and a wizzy is a killer small doubling combo.
    A very good match. Light and powerful. Tone for days.
  5. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    When I tried the two of them, there was no comparison between them.The 12 was much richer and fuller sounding and not much bigger than the 10.The cabinets sounded excellant at lower volumes, but they both started to get that excursion pop if you pushed them too hard.I don't think it would be a problem for upright playing and for society gigs, but they are definately not rock cabinets.The 12 could get louder before distorting also.They are extremely light and portable and that handle is a great idea.
  6. I have a CXL-110 and a Raezer's Edge Bass 10. I've used each of them with my AI Clarus 2, and like the tight sound. The CXL is slightly heavier than the Bass 10 but has a separate HF attenuator which gives a little more control of the highs. I also have a CXL-112 which I've used with the iAMP-350 - nice amp, although not quite as portable as the Clarus. I like the sound of the CXL-112, but it's so heavy compared to either of the 10s.

- Wil
  7. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Right, which is why I planned to only use the Ampeg cab for jazz gigs. I have a Hartke 2x10 XL sitting here for my rock gigs. The head, not the cab, is gonna be the thing that doubles.

EDIT: The reason why I'm still looking for a light cab is that most of the time in San Francisco, parking is poop. I have a car, but I end up parking so far that it's a pain to keep running back and forth just to get amps and other stuff. Especially in a town where the thieves are more than happy to break a window for things as small as a zipped-up backpack in the backseat. I'd rather have something small that I can just in one trip. If I end up getting a TON of gigs, then I'll probably go out and get a Wizzy. But right now, I see myself with the iamp500 slung on my back, bass on my shoulder, and speaker dragging behind me or in one hand. The compactness of a clarus/focus in a shoulder bag is nice, but I wanted the flexibility of the 500. It's all give and take. Heck, I might try to find a backpack that fits the portabass if it's only 20+ lbs.
  8. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    For what it's worth, I liked the sound of the Ampeg 112 portabass cabinet better than the portabass 2x10 cabinet also.I just think the tone was much richer.
  9. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    OOhh... thanks Mel! I was wondering about that. I probably won't try it but it's good to know. I'd prob buy an EA cab for the amount of $$$ you'd put out for the 2x10 anyhow + a little extra.
  10. The thing w.the 12" portabass is that is a sealed cab.Most of my cabs have been vented.That's a Whole-Lotta different sound to tweak.
    The most natural sound I have gotten is w a Bose 802 w. a mic ,blended carefully w.a pickup.Because it's a PA speaker it gives you the hi-fi ambiance thats so real to our ears, and you miss that w. a pickup alone.
    The problem is how loud do you have to be? Now the ol' feedback monster starts to haught you and prevent you from making music : You are to busy messing w your sound !!
    Weight also seems to be an issue....
    Most of my cabs are between 35 and 45 lbs.That can be a bit to much when your schelping your bass,music stand ,amp,etc.many blocks to the gig.The Portabass is 23 lbs. and has a wheely-deely thats pretty cool.I need to try this thing for a while and see if it has a sound I can use in certain situations.
  11. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    It's been my experience that hi-fi on stage often doesn't translate into the room too well. Of all the setups that I've heard over time,the most consistently natural sounding from player to player, out front, has been the little GK amp at moderate to low volumes -- although it sounds the way that it sounds on stage. My 2 cents.
  12. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    The 10 is a good little cabinet for low volume stuff, but the 12 is better. You can also order a the new driver that Ampeg is using in the 2x12, that's more efficient and doesn't add as much weight to the 1x12. The new driver makes the cab 8 ohms as opposed to 4. I've just replace the driver in my cabinets, I have two of them, but really haven't had a chance to put them to a real test yet.