1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg Q's

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by ETThompson, Oct 23, 2013.

1. ETThompson

ETThompson

Jan 3, 2011
    JMJ - 1. Have you played any modern (2000- on) SVT heads and if so which one(s) do you like? 2. Have you ever used a 4x10 Ampeg cab and again which one(s) do you like, the HLF, HE or some other?

I love my Aguilar rig but may eventually need something with even more power.

Other forum members please feel free to comment too.

Thanks, Eric

2. My two cents: My Heritage 4x10HLF sounds awesome, and is WAY better than the regular Classic cabs, IMO. (I’ve done some supporting gigs where I plugged my regular gear into the main act’s Classic 410 and it sounded nowhere even close to my box.)

The Heritage SVT heads are awesome too. I don’t own one, but I’ve used them a good number of times, and I’d replace what I have with one if I had the cash to do so.

3. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    It's all about the HLF. THey are lovely beasts.

I'm not familiar with the 2000-on SVT heads. I know the old 4-Pro, and the various preamps that came out at that time. I love the SVP-CL preamp that came out in the mid 2000's.

4. ETThompson

ETThompson

Jan 3, 2011
    Thanks Dan! I'll check those out. They ain't cheap, but it's good to hear they are potentially worth it.

5. ETThompson

ETThompson

Jan 3, 2011
    JMJ, I know you have a 70's SVT - do (or your techs) have any issues keeping it up and running? (I mean more than any other amp). I know you said it just crapped out but sounds like that was due to environmental questions.

Also which particular 70's SVT head do you have?

6. I was lucky enough to find my box used, so it was only $500 instead of whatever they usually are!! I was very pleased as you can imagine!!

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've played all SVT's of all eras, from early ones to brand new ones and everything in between, and as long as they're working, they all sound basically the same to me. And that goes for the different models of SVT's as well...CL, VR, 2 Pro, 2 Non-Pro, old ones, even the MTI heads from the 80's are great.

8. I adore my Heritage HLF. Handles big detuned overdrive sounds like no other cab I've played through, and stacks easier to move around than an 810 obviously! To me, happiness is a good P -> ABM500 with tube drive wide open -> Heritage HLF. Mmmm.

9. ETThompson

ETThompson

Jan 3, 2011
    Thanks everyone! Jimmy M. do you feel the same way about the cabs? All good no matter which one? It sounds like several people here have special love for the Heritage line...

10. It is my understanding that the Heritage cabs are the awesome sauce because they are loaded with Eminence speakers, or maybe different Eminence speakers than the Classics. (I'm not positive what the current production cabs are loaded with.) There is definitely more vibe to the Heritage cabinet than only being American made, etc... Although I was happy about that too as an American. :p

11. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Word to ALL that. Plus, they do have sick grillcloth. I wonder how those new Heritage cabs sound in comparison to my old 410HLF....

12. Dunno. That’d be an interesting shootout!! And I do love the grill cloth, but I’d like a 70s grey one too. I reached out to Ampeg to try to buy one when I first got the cab and didn’t hear back.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I do not feel the same about the cabs. There was a real bad period IMHO from 2000-2006 where the speakers had a cone change and lost a lot of high end response. Plus up until 2006, almost all Ampeg cabs made by SLM were made of OSB instead of the plywood they've been using since 2006. SLM was a really good company in some ways but the OSB and the dark speakers bummed me out. The ones made before 2000 sounded really good, though, I'll say that much for them.

As for the 410hlf, I'm not as big a fan of them as the 810e, but I do hear a noticeable positive difference in the newer ones. A little more mid content, a little less crazy low end (still quite heavy on the lows but a little tamed down IMHO).

Have not played the Heritage 410hlf, but I own a Heritage 810e as well as a 73 flatback with CTS alnicos, long considered the best sounding 810 ever made. The Heritage not only sounds just like it, but it takes insane power, which the old ones don't. It's easily the best 810 I've ever played, and as Justin mentioned, the black sparkle grillcloth is absolutely sick! And I swear to you I'm not just saying that because I endorse them ;)

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    The Chinese 810e's have Eminence China speakers, which I would put on the level of the speakers SLM was using before 2000...a great sound, not quite as good as the flatback, though. The Heritage uses American Eminences which were designed to sound as close as possible to the CTS's in the flatbacks without having to use expensive alnico magnets. IMHO, they succeeded wildly.

And no, the speakers aren't the same as the Legend B810's (I know you didn't ask, but a lot of folks made that assumption since Eminence came out with the B810 at the same time the Heritage cabs first appeared).

15. Hey thanks for this. Now that I know what they were trying to do, I too agree that they succeeded. :)

16. ETThompson

ETThompson

Jan 3, 2011
    JMJ do you have a standard setting for when you use your TH500? Or do you have to mess with it each time? I'm finding that if I get a good tone at one volume or in one room, I have to rethink it each time I change settings / venues, and sometimes have trouble getting it where I want it. (PS I have read some of the comments in other forums but wondered about your take since I think you always get such a great tone). I'm using mine with an SL 112 and sometimes also a DB115 for bigger shows.

17. ETThompson

ETThompson

Jan 3, 2011
    Also others posting here feel free to weigh in...

18. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    I've only used it once, so I don't remember anything with it.