Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Redhotbassist, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Hey, I recently had my Laney 300 watt combo fail on me with a pretty loudish buzzing/humming noise whenever i turn it on, and i was always wanting to just get a nice Ampeg cab and head.

I play a warwick thumb bolt-on and was thinking that the Ampeg 4x10hlf would be pretty good for it? is this the right cab? i usually play gigs for about 50-100 to about 400-500 people at times, so is this a good choice?

Also, what Head should i get with that, because im going to be wanting to buy them at the same time both together, ive been thinking the svt pro 4 would be perfect for that cab, but i dont have that much money for that, so what nicely priced ampeg or any other head would handle that cab well?

Any answers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks. :)

2. specplyrz

specplyrz Banned

Nov 11, 2005
    I have owned the svt 3, svt 350, svt 1000, svt 70's vintage, svt II, svt classic...and am awaiting the svt 6 right now. If you wan't a warmer sound, go for the svt 3 pro. 450 watts with that 410hlf cabinet, which is on of my exact combinations I had. I had the bxt 410 hl4.

3. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    i have an svt-350 and an ampeg 4x10he that i'm getting rid of if you are inetterested. i'm going smaller. the 4x10 wont fit in the back seat or the trunk of my park avenue. svt-350 has only been used a few times. less than 10hrs of time on it.

4. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    ooopps sorry !! i didnt notice taht you were in england. shipping would be a killer!!

5. I love my SVT II, thats all i can really say, got it pretty cheap on ebay too :)

6. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    A 3-Pro works great w/ a 410hlf. I use a 3-Pro and a PR410hlf myself. I had a 350H and traded up and am very happy I did.

7. specplyrz

specplyrz Banned

Nov 11, 2005
    REDHOTBASSIST...I think this is your best bet....3-pro 410hlf cab.

Auto ox...did you notice the svt 350 just ran out of gas , as mine did?

8. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Ampeg's hidden gem IMO is the B4R or (SVT 1000). The tone is close to the B2R (which is a great tone, just lacking in balls). The B4R gives you that missing power.

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Why are you set on Ampeg? I dunno whats avalible over there, but here in the states I would choose many things over an Ampeg while on a budget. And even with as much $ as I could wish for, a lot of modern Ampeg gear is just not appealing. That said, do you play with PA support?

10. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Thanks for all your answers and suggestions.

Ive played through a couple ampeg cabs/heads at gigs, and i like them, they seem reliable and good for tone, and ive heard good things about them from other bassists.

So a svt 3 pro would work well with a 410hlf? and a B4R(i think that may be a bit pricey, unless i can get it second hand) ../svt 3 - that will handle the 410-hlf nicely right? i can get a svt 3 from gak.co.uk at a decent 900 pounds is this alright?

Thanks. :)

11. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Not quite enough omph for me, and I like the tone of a tube front end.

12. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    The 3-Pro is rated @ 450 watts @ 4 ohms, the SVT-410hlf is rated @ 500 watts RMS 1000 watts peak @ 4 ohms. I think thats a pretty good match.

13. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Many have had issues with the 3-Pro not being loud enough. As for cabs, I would suggest you look at an Ampeg 215 or maybe 2 115s or something. I don't really like the modern cabs they make with 10s, but the more I play the 15 cabs they make the more I like em.

14. The people who complain about lack of volume from the 3-pro are possibly trying to EQ too much bass in and use the ultra low

And for 215's you can usually pick up a peavey one fairly cheap on ebay ;)

15. 900 pounds!!!!!
    Thats a bloody rip off for a 3pro. Go look at eBay US, you should be able to find a 2nd hand 3pro for around $500-600 US. Importing it to the UK, will be a lot cheaper than buying one new over there.

And yeah - the 3pro has my vote too, and the 410hlf is a lovely low end cab. The only thing I'd get over that would be a combination of the 410he and a nice 15" bottom.

16. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Oh right so i could get a cheaper head in Usa? would it work out with the postage and packing and delivery?

17. I'm not too informed about your UK customs/duty stuff, but over here we have the dreaded GST! It gets taxed at 10% on everything, every step of the way.
    E.G.
    I but an item which attracts a duty charge.
    The gst is taxed on the postage and the item price.
    Then, some customs handling fee's are charged, to which GST is charged to that also.
    THEN, the whole price has duty calculated on.
    Then GST is charged on the whole price inclusive of duty.
    So effectively we taxed twice for the same purchase! :mad:

But it's all percentages - so if the amp is relatively cheap you should be okay. For some thing the weight of an svt3pro, i'd expect to have a $200 frieght charge.
    And by the way, ONLY ONLY ONLY get airmail - sea container's are NOT NOT NOT worth the trouble. :scowl:
    A while ago - i bought an amp (to which anyone from the ampeg forum will remember) thru the 'bay, and got it sent via seamail.
    It got posted to the wrong address - in GERMANY!
    So, roughly 5 months later, after the seller finally got the item back from the dude in germany, i got my refund. :meh: Beware the seller "kmctoys" - he's honest, but i have to worry about his state of mind.
    With airmail, if it hits the wrong address, the company will (for free-depends on the carrier) send it back to the seller, within 10 days. Just my 2 cents.
    good luck.
    smo

18. I was thinking of that when i was looking to get my SVT-II, but postage for that was going to be $750!!!!!!! however, the 3-pro is a fair bit lighter

Jerrold may be able to inform you about the taps aswell, you better check that out to make sure it can run 230v at 50Hz (which is what i think we have now)

Oh yeah

And you have to pay import tax on the unit and the postage, then the import tax, unit and postage, all have VAT added (yup they even add that 17.5% to the import tax), and you'll get a handling fee ontop of that too :rollno:

19. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    SVT-3PRO and PR-410
    a match made in heaven . . . can't get much better!

20. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Ahh that pr410's are quite expensive compared to the 410hlf's arent they.. they do look sweet and im sure they sound amazing though..