1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SCR-DI Owners

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Onofre, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Onofre

Onofre

Feb 28, 2015
    how does the overdrive sound? which OD pedal is it similar to? thanks :)

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Overdrive is pretty good, not the best I ever heard in my life but pretty good, and I have no idea what it's similar to ;)

loendmaestro, asnutter and Onofre like this.
  3. from what i hear, it's the same od as the ba-ampeg series.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Correct.

5. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    Does anyone know how the SCR handles high output basses? My 18v active electronics seem to push a lot of pedals into "soft fuzz" territory when I am wanting more of a raunchy grainy saw.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    My P Lyte with EMG PJ's does fine with it and it's pretty high output.

7. their is an -15 db switch inside the di

8. gravesbass

gravesbass Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Endorsing Artist: MesaBoogie-SpectorBass-Dunlop-EMG Pickups-Darkglass-Hipshot
    Pull the bottom plate off and switch the jumper on the bottom from 1-2 to 2-3. Much better for active and HOT basses.

9. shinybeast

shinybeast

Apr 1, 2014
    I played a gig recently and the bass player in one of the other bands was running a p-bass through an SCR-DI with a little bit of drive in front of some kind of high end super clean amp (maybe a Clarus?). It sounded great--good note definition, slight compression with nice mids.

10. Red Man

Red Man

Feb 15, 2011
    Silly question guys, how close does this pedal sound to an SVT 3 (the amp which I am currently using). I am often in situations where either I'm unable to or its is impractical to bring my bass rig for a show as I am forced to resort to a DI pedal to give me the consistent sound which I desire. I am currently using a MXR Bass DI+ for this purpose. Also how does this pedal compare to the Tech 21 VTDI?

Cheers

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    They sound like the same company made both for sure, but the 3 Pro has tubes in it, so I don't think I'm telling tales out of school by calling the 3 Pro DI better. I'm sure there will be some who prefer their MXR box or the VT, but I really like the ease of use angle with the SCR-DI, whereas the VT is more versatile with overdrive tones but is more complex and somewhat difficult at first to operate. Got no experience with the MXR, but they're quite the excellent company so I wouldn't be surprised if they had a good box, too.

12. Red Man

Red Man

Feb 15, 2011
    Cheers for the info Jimmy, I inquired about purchasing one at my local music shop here in Aus and I was shocked when they told me the Australian RRP for it....$500 AUD!!!! Considering the Eden WTDI is only $150 AUD! It feels slightly over priced compared to its competitors tbh...

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I hear you. Wish I had control over the price ;)

14. jimibrowncat

jimibrowncat

May 2, 2015
    Hi Redman,

I bought my SCR at Turramaurra Music for $320 cash and it's online Ampeg SCR-DI - Bass Preamp Pedal with Scrambler Overdrive - Australia's Best Prices for $284.

I can honestly say this pedal is worth every cent. Best sound and makes any crappy speaker box warm fat chewy and great tones.

15. cruzrad58

cruzrad58

May 29, 2015
    Been using it live and in the studio for a while now. Total Ampeg tone. Can sound like a B-15 and an SVT. It is my fav DI right now.

JimmyM likes this.
  16. T.Dias

T.Dias

Oct 23, 2015
    Hello folks.

It might look as a really stupid question but how exactly is the jumper switched? I opened the back, i can see the jumper and the numbers but what exactly should i do?

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Pull the jumper off the pins it's on, then push it back down onto the two pins you want connected.

18. T.Dias

T.Dias

Oct 23, 2015
    Thanks a lot, JimmyM!

JimmyM likes this.
  19. Slpbass81

Slpbass81

Dec 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Endorsing: GHS Strings
    I'm not a fan of the Scrambler and wish they had an option to buy the pedal without it. But I can see other guys liking it so you really need to base the decision off what you hear. Other than that it's a great pedal.

karla684 likes this.
  20. Btbp

Btbp

Mar 2, 2008
    Everywhere at once
    now you can