1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SCR-DI vs Classic Pre

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bdplaid, Feb 14, 2018.

1. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    I just sold my SCR-DI in favor of an Ampeg Classic Pre. I wanted more room on my pedalboard. But it seems to me the SCR-DI had more of the Ampeg mojo than does the Classic.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? thanks.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    They're more similar than different but the SCR-DI cuts highs similar to what their tweeterless cabs do while the Classic is more full range.

Son of Wobble, 40Hz and bdplaid like this.
  3. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Thanks Jimmy.
    At least there is a difference, so I'm not nuts. Gotta say, the SCR-DI is an awesome pedal even without the distortion; the Classic, not so much.

4. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I have the SCR/DI, and much as I like it, I got excited when the Classic Pre came out. Because I don’t care for the Scrambler’s sound so I almost never use it. And I have DIs I prefer to use more. So I figured I could free up some space by getting the smaller pedal.

However, I’ll agree with you that they sound different - and the SCR/DI sounded subjectively better and “more Ampeg” to me than the standalone preamp did.

I wondered if I was imagining things too. So thx @JimmyM for clearing up that little mystery.

(Note: I kept the SCR/DI)

bdplaid likes this.