1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg Scroll

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bultaco, Apr 24, 2010.

1. bultaco

bultaco

Feb 29, 2008
    Hi All, I had the opportunity to use a vintage Ampeg Scroll bass in a recording situation. I fell in LOVE with it !! amazing, upright-like sound.
    Question: Is there an affordable bass available that has a great upright-like sound? "affordable" means less than $1000.00 :) just to clarify.. I'm talking about finding an electric fretted bass with this amazing tone that the Ampeg Scroll has.

2. eastwood makes an ampeg scroll bass copy. decent, i've played both before (real and the eastwood) and they pale in comparison, but for 1/3 the price, they're pretty decent.

3. Italia makes a copy, if I'm not mistaken. Not sure on the sound (Youtube, mayhaps?), but I know it's a dead-on replica.
    Rockingedit: I looked it up again, and I'm mistaken. Its not a dead on replica (one pickup, one f-hole, doesn't go all the way through the body) but it still may be worth checking out. I believe it's called the Imola.

4. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
  5. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    Just to clarify: I assume you are referring to the upgraded Ampeg AMB-1 and not the original design AEB-1 bass, which had only the "mystery pickup" in the bridge and no visible pickup in the sweet spot? There's a reason why Ampeg added a "real" pickup in the later models and did away with the mystery pickup altogether (And also why many of the originals were modified by owners with an added pickup too) - the mystery pickup sounded like crap unless you were using gut strings. Even so, the added pickup in the AMB-1 made the bass a million times more versatile/useful. So I'm not sure which Ampeg scroll bass sound you're after, but there are a few basses out there that come close, IMO, to the sound of an upright. The Ashbory, with it's silicone strings, is pretty convincing, though may seem like more of a toy than a real bass due to it's scale and "approximate" fret lines, Hofners, especially defretted and played fingerstyle, and Ricks with the string mute engaged are some examples. Technique and string choice also get you closer - tapewounds, playing up near the neck heel, etc.

6. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
  7. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Read the next sentence in his post, which he added six hours before you replied -

8. Giorgetto

Giorgetto Fingers on 4 Flatwounds

Dec 29, 2008
    Near Tinseltown
    Artist Relationship: Wilkins-Ampeg-La Bella
    If you are interested in these instruments, Bruce Johnson at www.xstrange.com specializes in the restoration of original Ampeg Scroll heads and also produces his own updated Scroll heads. They are by no means inexpensive but they are hand made and excellent. Bruce is an engineer, luthier and bass player in Burbank CA and his website is well worth visiting.

9. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Uh... I did read it. What's your point?

10. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Sorry SMCD
    My reading issue

11. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    He was correcting a different post than the one that was edited by its OP. The corrected one was about an Italia. The Greco was one post down.

12. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, my "bad reading".

Serious lack of sleep is getting to me.

13. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    My lefty Eastwood. While it is a great bass with a nice tone, it doesn't sound like an old Ampeg.
    eastwood001.

14. I've wanted one of these ever since I saw "Adventures in Babysitting"!