Ampeg svp-cl question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by felch182, Feb 6, 2006.

1. felch182

May 26, 2005
    Hey fellas,ing

I'm just wondering what size power-amp i would need to get the loudest possible sound without blowing my speakers with the svp-cl. I have a genz benz 410 and 115. Also could you please recomend a brand that would be around the $1500 aus mark. Thanks guys:)
  2. felch182

May 26, 2005
    Doesn;'yt anybody know lol
  3. lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Ditch the SVP-CL and get SVT-CL. Problem solved. ;)
  4. I run the SVPCL with a Poweramp myself - AND i'm a aussie too!:cool:

I got the PEAK AUDIO USA 1600 poweramp. Its 1600w bridged, roughly 7-800w a side at 8ohms, and runs all the stereo, parallel stuff too. 3U space.
    With a three year warranty, it cost me $600 AUD brand new. It DOES weigh a tonne (around 28kg's) and it is a little noisy (only fan noise though - which varies on heat) but its been great so far. No hum, no hiss - and all the muso store guys i spoke to love these amps, saying they never come back in the door for warranty work like the Alto poweramps do.
    Here's a link to the ebay store i got it from, very cool people - and VERY quick. They got it to me from Melbourne in 3 days for a very low price. (Insert one happy customer:) )
    Just note that the picture (on their site) is of the old model, the new one (here's my amp setup) looks like this.
    Good Luck,
  5. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    I have the SVP-CL preamp and I was going to run it with an Aguilar DB728 tube power amp, then when I realized they were hard to come by I was going to get a Crown K1. The K1 is a high quality power amp, people prefer them over the Crest CA series.

I ended up getting a used SVT-II because I just wanted to have a tube amp and I heard they're better than the new SVT-CL and SVT-2 PRO. They even got a "10" on sound quality in every single review in the harmony central database. So my answer would be the Aguilar as a first choice and the Crown as a second choice
  6. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Not so fast, the SVP-CL has a different preamp, pretty much a 70's SVT pre.

The SVT-CL has a "modified" SVT pre.

I told them it would be confusing...........
  7. vroc38

vroc38 Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2006
    I run mine through a QSC PLX1602, with no issues. It's much tighter and punchier than any tube SVT head, and far more reliable.