Ampeg SVT 350H - lighter/smaller alternative without losing power

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NLBass, Jun 4, 2022.

1. NLBass

NLBass

Jun 4, 2022
    First time poster here! I've always sought information from these forums in the past and wanted to dip my toes.

I've looked around for similar talks of this and I've seen posts about the SVT vs the PF 350 but I'm curious if I'd be sacrificing any "actual" power? I know they are both 350 but for instance, I tried a Fender Rumble 500 Head (not combo) on my Ampeg 410HLF and it was just weak as hell against the SVT 350H.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 350H, but I'm curious if there's a more compact or lighter option. I did stumble across a thread about lighter options for the 350H but it was more about keeping the Ampeg sound. I'm open to options beyond that though.

How could the Fender Rumble 500 head be not as powerful than the Ampeg SVT 350H? Both would be at 4ohms, I believe that means the Fender 500 is at 250w or 300w. when in the 410HLF. Am I thinking of this wrong? Did I get a bad used head?

I'm open to a new cab/head combo as well if it's still not losing power. I was looking at the Fender 800HD with the 410 Rumble cab but with trying the Fender Rumble 500 and it not pushing that much power, I'm hesitant.

The band I play in plays loud as hell so I'm really trying to keep that power with a lighter option. I feel like I'm asking for a miracle. Going to try to hit a store in the next day or two. Any suggestions are appreciated!

2. The Ampeg B2R is apparently the same amp only smaller, rack mount, size. Or the B2RE is an extra 100w.

3. HOOLIGAN

HOOLIGAN

Dec 21, 2007
    Cowtown, USA
    I’d go with a SVT 7 if you want ( better) Ampeg tone in a smaller package.

Gearhead17, rodl2005 and johnnynitro like this.
  4. NLBass

NLBass

Jun 4, 2022
    This may be a ridiculous comparison but for the smaller set ups and smaller stages, how would the Fender 500 Rumble Combo be vs the Ampeg SVt/410 combo? Both I believe would push 350 watts but assume the 410 will be more with more speakers. But thinking if I cranked the 500 combo, maybe that could be plenty. I've heard people say the Rumble 500 is quite loud on it own.

5. The Rumble 500c is pretty good for volume, but pushing the amp into its onboard 210s will result in the speakers farting out. But, it does have a speaker out socket to enable you to add another 210 or similar, cab.
    I only ever used my previously owned 500c with an extra speaker a couple of times, and it was more than I'd need in almost any situation.
    But on its own, it'd struggle with a loud gig situation

NLBass likes this.