1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT-410HLF + Ampeg SVT-4 Pro?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ErrK66, Nov 16, 2016.

1. ErrK66

ErrK66

Nov 16, 2016
    Hello how's it going? I've owned this Ampeg SVT-4 Pro for years now I've been playing it out of an SVT 810E Cab for the longest with no issues. Now that I'm playing shows a little more often I decided to pick up a 410HLF I had read that they do pair very well. I was concerned with the 4Pro being too much for this cab. I tried it and I'm experiencing this cab having trouble keeping up. I do feel that it's over powering but then again I could be setting it up wrong. I'm not really savy at this kinda change and I am looking for advise on this. My current set up is Music Man Sting Ray 4-HH tuned to Drop C (CGCF) I also have a BBE Sonic Stomp Box. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You can use any cab with any amp as long as you exhibit good sense.

3. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    The 410hlf has a lot less midrange content (250hz to 600hz) than your Ampeg 810e. In addition, it sits lower to the ground. The first thing you should do is change up your EQ settings on the 4 PRO - start reducing the low end content below 150hz and boost around 500hz. See if that helps.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    This is true for ones made before like about 2010. I find newer ones vastly improved in the mids.

5. I was always able to get a good sound out of my post-2010 heritage hlf, in fact I liked it better with the five string than the 810 because it was able to reproduce the lows a lot better and they were much fuller than the 810. It's still my favorite cab to use with my five string basses.

I describe the 810 cab full of mid punch, and the heritage hlf deep, rich, and warm. The mids aren't as pronounced as the 810, but they are very much present once you dial the cab in. I've found lots of headroom on your amp and a little compression will really tighten up the sound without losing its richness. Slapping sounds amazing through mine, as does my active five strings. I just finished putting together a '55 p reissue, and it's really thumpy with some flats. I'd be very suprised if it didn't respond to drop turnings like a champ.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Yeah, the Heritage 410hlf is totally worth the extra hundy it costs.

7. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    To the OP, are you looking at the PN410HLF, a pre-2010 SVT 410HLF, or a post-2010 SVT 410HLF? My experiences are with the older SVT 410HLF's. Listen to Jimmy M on the newer stuff. There are several sound differences with these models.

8. Al Bass

Al Bass

Jan 11, 2004
    Lake Worth, Fl
    I'm interested in getting a 410hlf and was wondering how the heritage 410hlf compares to the classic 410hlf. I play 5 string and I'm particularly interested in the deep low end and slap sounds. Thanks!

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I've played them side by side, and the Heritage is definitely worth the extra hundy. They sound similar, yes, but the Heritage has a more refined and all-around better sound. Plus it's a few pounds lighter.

Al Bass likes this.
  10. Al Bass

Al Bass

Jan 11, 2004
    Lake Worth, Fl
    Cool. Going to take a drive to GC, unfortunately all they have is a classic 410hlf on the floor. Thanks!

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Trust me on this one...if you like the Classic, you will LOVE the Heritage.

12. AndrewAPV

AndrewAPV

Dec 22, 2016
    I've got an SVT4 and run it through my 2012 Classic SVT410HLF. Ive been getting super thick lows and the high mids are surprisingly punchy. I've played through the fridge and TBH (not even taking into consideration the obvious logistical benefits from the smaller cab) the 410 is a better choice unless you need a ridiculous amount of volume. Playing in drop D or on my 5 string down to the low B just gets super muddy with the 810. I have been running through an EH Bass preacher comp/sus pedal and its really helped me get to the core of the tone and push that 410.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021