Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT-6 PRO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DEVILMAN, Aug 14, 2005.

1. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Anyone try this piece yet? It looks interesting & powerful...

~S~

2. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    +1 I'm really interested in this one for use with a NV215 or NV425

3. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    There was a pretty long detailed thread on this head a while ago, with some posts by a TBer who works for Ampeg. As I recall he explained that the SVT6 was designed the preamp tubes actively controlling the power amp section, as opossed to just sitting in the signal path adding color. This gives the amp a more tube like response. Apparently this is the same design as the SVT3 Pro, just coupled to a larger power section. So if you like the sound of a 3Pro but want more power this is the head for you.

4. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    I'd still like to hear from someone that actually played through it besides an Ampeg employee. It looks like it's going after(competition wise) the Aguilar 750 if you ask me...

~S~

5. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...does anyone have a link to the thread mentioned above???

~S~

PS: Did a search, nothing worth reading...

6. I may be wrong, but, it has a tube driver section aswell as the pre section, which, as you said works the power section differently from a standard hybrid

IIRC the 6 pro is pretty much the 3 pro, but with more do-dah's on it, and it has a bi-amp-able power section

7. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    According to ampeg's website its tube preamp with MOSFET power section, and is a mono only head, not a stereo head like the 4Pro, which rules out onboard biamp.

Specs are 750 watts @ 8ohms, 1100@ 4ohms.

8. oh well, my bad on the biamp then

its still tube driven tho, as you'll notice, tube preamp, driver tubes and then the mosfet power section

9. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    Has someone tested the SVT-6 PRO, and, if so, what's your opinion of it?

10. Yea I play on this mutha all the time. Im selling my svt 3 to get it because its basicly the same thing with more power. I love it.

11. specplyrz

specplyrz Banned

Nov 11, 2005
    Review on SVT-6 PRO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, got it today. Playing it through a Ampeg 810e bottom. Rolling thunder is all I can say...cause my wine glass rolled right off the edge of my desk, and onto the beige carpet.....it was a Merlot..... she's gonna kill me when she gets home.

The amp. is outrageous!! It has Groove tubes, telsa and sovtek. Two of each. I have pics of the interior. Will post shortly. Massive transformer.

The 10!!! yup ten MOSFET's are bolted to a "tunnel" with twin fans at one end blowing out the rear. It sucks air from the front as well as from the sides. As the pics will show when I get them up, the tubes are inline with the air flow as well. Clever layout.

Now for the sound....LOUD and POWERFULL!!! Nuff said!! I have it eq'ed with bass on 8, parametric bass eq at +4 at 40 hz, all other controls set midway, (flat). No boost or cut. Ultra low and ultra high engaged. Treble control at 7.

Tube voltage control at 300 volts. Compression at 0.

Gain at 10 o'clock and master at 12 high. This gain setting flickers about 30%...good setting for me.

The sound is HUGE...no power loss, no delay in attack...NO DISTORTION..and it's fun to watch the lights in my office dim when I hit certain low notes!!

Ampeg hit this one out of the park!!! Very, VERY happy....finally!!!

12. How is the O.D./Dirt on this head?

13. specplyrz

specplyrz Banned

Nov 11, 2005

Give me a day or so...I'm still getting used to it.... :hyper:

14. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    I've had it for about a six weeks now, and played a 2 1/2 hour gig with it this past Halloween. It absolutely ROCKS! The tone is just crazy, and there are a lot of tone shaping tools. I thought I would miss the 9-band EQ, but I honestly don't. People were saying that once they got within 5 blocks of the house, they just followed the bass to the party......

[​IMG]

15. Bump

16. specplyrz

specplyrz Banned

Nov 11, 2005
    [​IMG]

Here ya go.....Huge power supply!!! And it plays DIRTY if you adjust it to. Remember, this amp is 17 wide x 18 deep. The transformer is huge!! :bassist:

17. I tried this head recently and I will admit that I liked it. I generally do not like the sound of any of their heads/cabs together, but this one is something refreshing.

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ive tried it out and have to say that it is pretty sweet.

The EQ is way better than the EQ on the SVT3 IMO.

I'll post more specific details later.

19. thereuar

thereuar

Apr 26, 2006
    i own it and i love it, it is soo clean and you can really hear the tubes come thru the pre and the parametric eq section. but i will let you guys know if i come across any snags.

20. Best amp ive ever owned beats messa boogie & ashdown with it sound shaping tools.It is a heavey amp but well worth it.
    I use with a 4x10 ampeg cab which ive been told its soul brother to match up with......Actually i went from one extreme to another as i had a markbass top which was very light to the pro 6,but mark my words its lots better than the markbass.