1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVT AV & 610HLF Combination

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pshep68, Mar 6, 2013.

1. pshep68

pshep68

Sep 21, 2006
    Recently picked up a used Ampeg SVT AV head. Going to order a new cab on Friday ... I have it narrowed down to the Ampeg 610 or 810. I know the ideal combination would be with a the 810, butu what are your thoughts on the SVT AV head & Ampeg 610HLF combination?

2. The 810e is the standard pairing with that amp. You DO have to like the way that cab sounds though. IMHO that particular cab imparts more flavor than the amp.

3. No experience w/the SVT AV, but my 610hlf (driven by a Peavey VIII XP) works well, thank-you-very-much. That said, it BARELY fits in my car.... If you've got a vehicle big enough, have the muscle, and play venues that would "benefit" from the additional area of the 810, well, go for it.

Naturally, YMMV

4. pshep68

pshep68

Sep 21, 2006
    Ordered a Ampeg 610HLF cab yesterday.

5. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Well I don't know if the CL and the AV sound different, but a good friend of mine played a gig last night with a SVT-CL/610HLF rig and it was killer. It was "boomy" like most people describe, but I for one liked that about it. I like bass that you feel as well as hear. Let us know how your rig turns out...

6. swsmusic

swsmusic

Sep 23, 2010
    Newnan, GA
    I just bought an SVT AV head and have it paired with an SVT 410 HLF. Love it so far. I haven't taken it out of the house to jam with anyone yet, but hopefully that will happen soon. I have also wondered how the 610 and 810 compared with this head. Looking forward to your review!

7. The SVT-AV is the Anniversary Edition of the original SVT. The "AV" was introduced in 1999 to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the original SVT.

Long story short, it is basically an SVT-CL with the "silver face" aesthetics currently employed in the SVT-VR, which looks similar, but has a different pre-amp and different gain structure.

I love the look of the SVT-VR. I also love the easier-to-dial "grit" of the modern SVT-CL. So, yeah, I wish to heck I bought an SVT-AV when I had the chance (and the money)!

I wonder if Ampeg may consider re-releasing it in 2014 for the SVT's 45th Anniversary?

8. msptvyhn

msptvyhn

Mar 11, 2013
    I like bass that you feel as well as hear. Let us know how your rig turns out.[​IMG]

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    They both are great cabs. Me, I prefer the low end of the 810e, but the 610hlf has a nice fat low end that isn't muddy. Since you got it already, it's a moot point, but either of those cabs are quite awesome.

10. I'll co sign on that, JimmyM is 100% correct. I got two 610's paired with two GK 100rb II's and they sound great. I wish I could find a pedal that would switch from the GK's to my SVT CL when I want to hook both of the cabs up to it.

11. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    Rumour has it that the 610 is actually the bassier cab. I've always wanted the 610.

12. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    I think...the top 4 of the 610 is a HE with the bottom 2 ported...if it is, it would seem to be the best of both...