1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT CL cooling fan not working

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by clmjlg, Mar 28, 2009.

1. clmjlg

clmjlg

Feb 8, 2008
    So i walk into practice tonight and turn my amp and notice right off the back that something is wrong. There is no noise coming out of the amp at all. If you have ever owned one you know how loud the fan is. So im wondering if anyone has ever had this problem and if there is a way to fix it yourself or do i need to contact ampeg, im pretty sure its still under warranty.
    Any advice would be great.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Probably just a loose wire. Don't know how to get inside CL's but it can't be too hard. Just give it a few minutes after you turn it off and unplug it to make sure the caps are drained before you go poking around in there and kill yourself. A loose fan wire is an easy fix, though. If that's not the problem, any fan that fits the hole will work.

3. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Any 120VAC fan, that is............

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Thank you for the clarimicashun, Jerrold.

5. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    An amp tech would (very carefully) mesure the voltage at the fans 2 wires with the amp powered up. If both wires tested good, he'd then know it just needed a simple fan motor replacement.

DSCN2083.

6. clmjlg

clmjlg

Feb 8, 2008
    Well it turns out the wires that were run from the fan to the plastic locking mechanism had a zip tie that kept so much tension that i guess all the moving i do with the amp finally unplugged it but i plugged it back and my amp is back to being noisy again. thank for the advice.

How did you get the mesh part off, i was afraid to just go pushing and pulling with out knowing too much.

7. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Hey, good job there clmjlg.

My grill was held on by surprisingly strong Velcro type strips located in each corner. I just tried each corner first and carefully pried the easiest one outward with a butter knife. After any corner is loose, the others should pull right off pretty easy.