1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVT Head I Just Bought 1972

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by supershifter2, Nov 16, 2017.

1. supershifter2

supershifter2

Apr 22, 2014
    SoCal
    I just picked this up yesterday. I sent the guy a deposit 2 weeks ago to hold it. Guitar store in SF had it. I drove there. Played it through the cab it was sitting on. I did not buy the speaker cabinet. Its a 1972 with Sylvainia tubes. It was owned by Les Lizama bass player of SFO, Link Wray , Eddie Money , Steve Miller band and Quicksilver Messenger Service.... This amp has been used at CBGB's , Winterland , Fillmore etc just to name a few. Paid 2k for it. It will sit on my 1974 810 cabinet with the original CTS speakers. ampeg svt 1. ampeg svt 3. ampeg svt 9. ampeg svt 10.

2. Was he with Link during the late 1990's, early 2000's? If so I saw him with Link in Worc, Ma at Clark University. The bass player was playing a Dan Electro Long horn and had an SVT with an SVT (810) cab with wire mesh over the speakers. Nice head BTW, you can't beat them, I've been using them for over 40 years.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Cool head! Will kick much ass on top of the 74 810.

4. Congrats. Whatta beauty! !

supershifter2 likes this.
  5. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Cool!!!!!!

I love amps with a story :) and that's a real flagship :hyper::hyper::hyper:

btw wasn' t it owned by Springsteen too?:D There is a "Boss" sticker on it!!!! :laugh::roflmao:

have fun:bassist:

Wise(b)ass

Bad azz tone and supershifter2 like this.
  6. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Congrats
    Piece of history and a great amp all at once

Mvilmany, Korladis and supershifter2 like this.
  7. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Those heads are also valuable in weight lifting training. ;) It's too cool and my wishes are for your ears to love what happens when you play it. :thumbsup:

supershifter2 likes this.
  8. Searay

Searay

May 20, 2012
    Cool amp bet the Sylvania's sound nice. Are they in good shape or need to replace?

9. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

Nice score!

I saw it on CL and eBay the last month or so. I was very interested but wasn't going to pay 2k for it.

I'm glad it went to someone who can appreciate it.

10. supershifter2

supershifter2

Apr 22, 2014
    SoCal
    They sound good but I will have them tested

Bad azz tone likes this.
  11. supershifter2

supershifter2

Apr 22, 2014
    SoCal
    Here in los angeles a 1970's SVT head in that condition will demand about $2500.00 "IF" you can find one for sale. I have been looking for a few years and wanted one that was close enough to drive to get.

bobyoung53 and kranahan like this.
  12. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    I'm in LA right now, there's always heads for sale.
    It's harder to find heads in SF.

Vintage 1970's Ampeg SVT 300w Black Line Bass Amp Tube Head
    Ampeg SVT Blueline
    1973 Ampeg SVT Bass Amp - Head and 8x10 Cab
    Vintage Ampeg SVT 1970's Blackline All Tube Bass Amp

kranahan likes this.
  13. supershifter2

supershifter2

Apr 22, 2014
    SoCal
    I have lived in la since 1987. I have been looking for a 69-74 head for a while with no luck. I know a lot of musicians and those that have them dont want to sell them. The next head on my list is and original HiWatt DR201 not the newer copy. I found a DR200 for sale and its the power amp without the preamp and its in orange county.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  14. somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    There's one in my buddy's garage in Burbank, with a couple original cabs.
    He also has a Pedulla 5 he won't play, won't sell, that ended up going off his wall and in the garage after I expressed interest in it.
    I'll try to get a pic of it bc my blackline SVT is going to have to live in there until I get back down here for the next work trip.

15. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I know where you are coming from in searching out this amp. I have a ‘71. They sound amazing. Enjoy!

bobyoung53 likes this.
  16. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    I'm in the San Fernando Valley and with my burgeoning amp fetish, you seem like two good guys to know!

(Boy) Howdy!

17. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    The pedigree on OP''s new amp made me think of your Iron Butterfly SVT, Jimmy. I am getting Japanese Guitar Collector-caliber GAS hangin' round here!

bobyoung53 and JimmyM like this.
  18. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

There was a blue line at the Hollywood GC for 5 months and it sold about a month ago for $1800.

19. somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    I was there Monday.
    The Justice League premiere screwed up Hollywood Blvd again, I got into the office late and had to move my car.
    The LA office is on Hollywood/La Brea and anything at Kimmel or Mann's might mean I'm stuck until they strike.
    Gives me a reason to hunt gear.
    The San Ash right by the GC never has anything good.

That head was ok, I played it a few months back.
    The one in SF was really good, that store was trying too hard to get value tho.

kranahan likes this.
  20. danfrank

danfrank

Apr 11, 2016
    Those tubes look new or VERY low hours on them. 4 Sylvanias and the 2 outer look to be GE 6550As which are also nice. Find someone trustworthy that can test them to see if they are electrically matched up; all 6 of them. Having unmatched 6550s in an SVT will cause premature tube failure and other potential problems.
    I had one of these 1972 amps about 10 years ago (in LA) that I totally went through to overhaul, retubed it and it came with a flight case, that I sold for $800. The amp was free to me from a bass player who had 2 other SVTs that he wanted me to go through and get working right. Oh well, easy come easy go... LOL!

One more thing... JJ KT88s will work well in this amp. A sextette isn't too expensive for these tubes. You can sell the sylvanias as a quad and more than make up for the price of 6 JJs.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017