1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT II (non pro) Power Tubes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by die monster die, Oct 21, 2013.

1. die monster die

die monster die

Sep 25, 2008
    Hey,
    I haven't been around for a while. I think this might be the best forum to ask my question.
    I have an SVT II bass head for years. I was playing in noise bands, and was use to set the gain knob on 2,5 (there is no master volume knob). It was sounding good, but too loud to some live sound technician.
    Gain on 1, sound's not that good, so i took two power tubes off the amp, in order to use the same gain input, having sorta the same sound, but quiter.

It worked with 4 power tubes instead of 6, for a year or two, before it became unstable. It's been for repair since.

I wonder if what i did is related to it unstability...
    I'm about to get it back, and don't play loud bands anymore.
    I want to keep it, but will probably need to keep it quiet. How could i make it even quiter and keep sounding good?
    Would taking two more tubes out a good idea?

Thanks.

2. Psychobassguy

Psychobassguy Banned

Oct 14, 2013
    Sneedville
    Yes. Search for the term reflected impedance for an explanation.

Use an inefficient power hungry cabinet. An Acme Low B 2x10 in 4 ohms should do nicely.

No.

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Maybe run something to cut your volume in the FX Loop. Get that thing fixed :bassist:

4. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Leave all 6 powertubes in and get yourself a sansamp VT-pedal :cool:

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you must have power tubes for distortion, you should get a V4B. 100w tube, sounds just as good as an SVT.

6. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    Try engaging the graphic EQ and bringing the level on that down? Might serve as a poor man's master volume (or vice versa with the graphic level up and the gain down which is how I use it?)

-JV

7. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Does the old volume pedal thing that they had for the V4's work on an SVT?

8. Looks like it should. Basically it plugs into the External Amp jack and grounds the signal through a pot.

9. die monster die

die monster die

Sep 25, 2008
    Thanks!
    Hey, i actually thought about it a while ago! I wonder how how it would affect the sound, thought. I'll give it a try.

I've been teached transistors, not tubes. I'm too young for this. Didn't think it would change the output impedance though... + a "pro" made it for me. They didn't mind. Well...

Oh yeah, i haven't seen the head for two years, i wasn't sure there was a eq level... I'll try that too!

What about a 8ohm speaker on a 4ohm output? Would it do the trick? I sold my 210HE but still have my 410HE.