Ampeg V-4B for a SVT HLF 610?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Basschunx, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Basschunx

Basschunx

Jun 8, 2021
    Hey everyone,

Long time lurker, first time commenter.

I've tried the Ampeg V-4B & fell in love. I currently have an Ampeg SVT HLF 610 cab in my possession. Unfortunately, I could not test out the amp with my cab. I've dug around these forums for help on whether I should get it or not since my cab is 600W and the V-4B is 100W. I couldn't really find a definitive answer to my particular question which is:

Will I be able to be in control of the overdrive that occurs when you crank the V-4B? And will it be loud enough (without being overdriven) when I'm playing in a band for rehearsals/backyard/theater gigs?

While I love the overdriven tone, I would also want the option to be clean without sacrificing my volume/getting lost in the sauce (aka the mix, when playing live). Also, the weight compared to the 300W tubes is much more attractive. I'm afraid of (potentially) messing up my speakers—or the amp for that matter—if I have to push the V-4B to the limit in order to be heard.

My primary bass is a 2006 Fender Jaguar, so it has an active switch (not sure if that matters). I usually play Alt Rock/Punk/some Metal w/ two guitarists, sometimes a keyboard, and a very loud drummer. I'm really hoping this amp & cab will cover the playing situations I listed in bold above. I'm also ready to get my heart broken if you all think I should go with a different head for what I need.

Thanks!

2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    There’s no reason a V4B wouldn’t work with a 610HLF. I briefly had a vintage V4 and 610HLF, though I ended up moving on from that cab I still have and enjoy a V4.

As far as clean volume, with a loud band I would expect some distortion from the amp at stage volume. Not full on fuzzed out distortion, but I wouldn’t expect it to be pristine clean in that setting. Everyone defines loud a little differently so it’s hard to say how it would sit in your band mix.

Wasnex and Basschunx like this.
  3. I used an older V4b with a 6x10 for quite a while. It worked very well. Eight piece band, outdoors a lot, never felt undergunned. Nice grind, a little bit greasy sweet. You can see a bit of it in this pic behind the keyboards.

I’ll add that the 610 is a good cab for getting maximum useable volume out of the V4b.

0F82DD09-43EE-437A-AD4C-84066366D77D.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    VolstateMark, Zbysek and Basschunx like this.
  4. Basschunx

Basschunx

Jun 8, 2021
    Thank you for the examples and replies so far! You don't even know how very much appreciated this is.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    Zbysek likes this.
  5. Basschunx

Basschunx

Jun 8, 2021
    If you don’t mind can you share your EQ settings for these outdoor settings?

6. jdubbass38

jdubbass38

Mar 20, 2009
    Love my v4b with the 610 cab!

5253EC0B-8F95-4D2D-9ABF-5801C0F16AB5.jpeg

7. It’s been a while and I don’t remember.

Basschunx likes this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Did you do the cab grill yourself? Excellent job if so.

jdubbass38 likes this.
  9. jdubbass38

jdubbass38

Mar 20, 2009
    I wish I could take credit but Flip Tops did an awesome job on the grill!

CTBassGuy likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021