1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg V4B dating/price/power

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WorldCarver, Nov 4, 2013.

1. WorldCarver

WorldCarver

Jun 30, 2011
    I've recently run into a vintage Ampeg V4B that I'm interested in buying but cant quite narrow down the date. It looks like it's somewhere between 76-79. Are there any obvious tells to give away the year? Have any of you bought a head around this age? What did you pay for it?

The link to the head:
    http://harrisonburg.craigslist.org/msg/4166805026.html

Secondly, I run a pretty large rig consisting of both an 810 AND a 215. I've had little to no experience with all tube heads and but love the rich warm tone they push out. I realize that tube power tends to push out more volume to wattage compared to solid state but will this 120ish watt head be able to handle the work load?

Any light shed on this would be awesome.

2. I can't help you date the amp or anything, but make sure that the amp will handle the impedance of your cabs. I'm assuming your cabs are both 4 ohms? I'm not sure if the old V4B's can run 2 ohms. I know my 2005 V4BH cant.

3. Just as a heads up, no 2x15 will be able to keep up with a fridge. It's just the same as the 4x10 plus 1x15 debacle.

Edit: For my use, I could not work with a 100W amp. It also will not be able to push your cabinets anywhere near to their capabilities.

4. Price seems high for that new of one and in the shape it's in. Yes it will drive a 2 ohm load (taps are 2,4 and 8 ohms).

5. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I wouldn't pay that much for a late 70s V4 unless it had been recapped and had fresh tubes, preferably something NOS. That's the downside of the vintage amps, they will come with a higher maintenance cost that should be factored in when you buy one.

Edit - as far as power, depends on your band and cabs. With my 8x10 and a loud drummer/two guitarist band my V4 runs out of clean headroom and starts getting wolly. Not a bad sound for that band, but of the variety of groups I've played with that's the only one that could max out the V4/8x10. With the added 2x15 you'll be nice and loud and muddy.

6. bluehevy75

bluehevy75

Dec 1, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Price seems high. Don't know how much I can talk about it as I'm not a supporting member.

I currently run the v4 with 2x15 cab and that is loud enough for all rooms I've played. Played that out on Friday, 300-400 people. All good. Stayed clean the whole time too. Outdoor shows it almost has enough power but not quite enough. I play R&B and for nearly all shows the 2x15 gets it done.

I have not ran a v4 with a 8x10. But I have ran an SVT with an 8x10 and it was waaaayyyy loud. Way loud for anything but stadiums and outdoor shows for my preferences. Never played a stadium but did plenty outdoors. The svt with an 8x10 is waayyy louder than my v4 with a 2x15.

Not sure about the v4 with 2x15 and 8x10. Not sure about v4 with 8x10. Never tried it.

Hope that helps.

7. WorldCarver

WorldCarver

Jun 30, 2011
    I plan on trying it out tomorrow, but I really dont want to over work the thing while testing it. It was "recently re-tubed and serviced" but it still sounds a little over priced.

Has anyone had any experience actually trying to push two cabs with this head? I've read a lot that the older blue lines could handle the load with easy but have twice the power.

8. The actual power output is about the same. Mojo of the older amp being added by the faithful.

9. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    If the head fails while running two cabs it's because you pushed the head too far trying to get a ton of volume, something that would happen no matter how many cabs you had attached (as long as the impedance is is matched). The combination of cabs is less than ideal, the 8x10 and 2x15 are very unlikely the be matched in output/spl and phase response.

10. WorldCarver

WorldCarver

Jun 30, 2011
    Thanks for all the help folks!