Ampeg V4B or PF50T?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mickebas, Apr 25, 2018.

1. I have a chance of buying a used early 2000’s V4B, made in US paired with a SVT 410HE for basically the same money as a brand new PF50T.
    I’m thinking that as far as sound goes they’re pretty similar but looks and weight (move-ability) is totally different.
    Anyone who has insight in wich one would be the one to go for.
    I play lots of different gigs and styles but very selldom metall or anything close. Im a working musician so it’s a little of everything... jazz, pop, rock, motown, latin and anything in between. Portability is definitely a factor but sound is the most important thing.
    Grateful for all kinds of advice from anyone with experience.

2. backin82

backin82 Jack of a Few Trades Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I recently debated the same thing, played both side by side a bit, and I went with the V4 based on volume and tone. It is true that they both sound "Ampeg-y", but the V4 has an "it factor" that the 50T just doesn't. The V4 is like the Millennium Falcon compared to the 50T, which is like a Tie Fighter.

I've moved it twice to rehearsal and it is a beast to move. But I find the sound difference worth the effort (for now). The V4 is a huge head, so take that into consideration for how it'll fit in your vehicle and amp/rack. I decided to pair it with two 112AV's and it sounds amazing. I also play in pretty similar groups to you.

If you can settle for less headroom and value portability, I'd honestly recommend the 50T. If tone is paramount, go with the V4.

ScottTunes and ErnieD like this.
  3. Thanks! Tone is still definitely the most important factor and I got a good sized transportation vehicle and a trolley so the V4 seems to be the safest bet then.
    The PF50T also needs a speaker if I would go that road so it’s a bigger investment.
    Do you think a 410 HE is a good cabinett for the V4?

4. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi mickebas :)

With a V4B you will be fine! Or....

:D

get the SVT....

stardestroyer.jpg

but of course you need big hands for a "Star Destroyer" :laugh:

Just kidding! The V4B will do the job! (IMO)

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

5. :) Yes, the SVT, hmmm.
    I probably would if it wasn’t too expensive for my current financial status... the V4 with the 410HE will cost me a third of just the SVT head alone.
    Maybe later on in my bass career :bassist:

backin82 and Wisebass like this.
  6. My rig is the V-4B reissue and the 410HE cab, it's a great match! The only thing is the 410HE may not have a "full" enough sound for you depending on style of music and how loud you're playing. The tone is amazing and it's plenty loud but you may want to add another 410HE or an SVT115 later on.

mickebas likes this.
  7. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Get the V4B
    You'll thank me later

Wisebass and mickebas like this.
  8. I don’t play that loud generally but my gigs vary a lot so to be on the safe side I already own an old Harke 4x10 that I could add on certain occasions... but since I lately mostly been gigging my Fender Rumble 500 alone the physical factor will probably restrict me too the V4B and the 410 HE as my ‘big rigg’ and let the PA system do the rest.

9. The 410HE alone is plenty for bar gigs and anywhere bigger where you're going to have PA support as the majority of your volume. I've used it by itself plenty of times, but I love the sound (and look) of my SVT1510HE stacked under it.

mickebas likes this.
  10. backin82

Sep 9, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I have never played that combination, so I can't comment on it, specifically. Sounds like everyone is leaning towards the V4 anyway.

Honestly, if I was to compromise on tone from the V4, I'd just abandon the tube requirement and get a small class D head.

mickebas likes this.
  11. backin82

Sep 9, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I was essentially stating that the V4 has "got it where it counts, kid"

b-b-b-bass and mickebas like this.
  12. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    hi backin82 :)

Who do you call kid? :mad::rage:

I did the Kessel Run, when you where at kindergarten! :p:p:p:p:p

I did it and I regret it! Stay on the right side..... of the force!

as long as you can schlepp it!!!!!

Wise(b)ass

13. I’ve had my share of lightweight class D heads with high watt specifications. They have their benefits when it comes to transportation/carrying but as far as sound goes I want to get a good tube amp... played a V4B RI the other day and paired with P-bass it made me want to carry stuff again :hyper: not that I will get rid of my other combos for gigs on 5th floor with no elevator.

AstroSonic likes this.
  14. This is what I ended up with :bassist:

BA0656C4-81B3-4199-B9FF-3FF27FA8B506.jpeg

Attached Files:

15. jdubbass38

jdubbass38

Mar 20, 2009
    Killer looking setup, can’t go wrong with the v4b-ri!

mickebas likes this.
  16. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

All you need now is a decent bass!!! :facepalm: :roflmao:

mickebas and nbsipics like this.
  17. I know. These were just some old used ones lying around .

Wisebass, SJan3 and BassmanPaul like this.
  18. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

My 63 Precision was used when I bought it in January 68. Had a huge belt rash on the back, still does. Met my wife playing that bass on June 06 1968! :D

boamedt, AstroSonic and mickebas like this.
  19. Wonderful :thumbsup:
    My jazz on the left is from late 1961. Fantastic instrument.

SJan3 likes this.
  20. Jwood

Jwood Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Richmond, Va
    Nice man!! You got all you’ll ever need right there!

mickebas likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021