1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ampeg v4bh enough power?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Speedy Claxton, Mar 14, 2008.

1. I have the opprotunity to pick up an ampeg v4bh for relatively cheap due to my friend working at a local music store. I hear that this model is quite rare but compared to the standard v4b but not really sure why since the only difference I can find is the name.

Anyways, didn't mean to go off on a tangent there but I would like to know if this puts out enough power for middle sized venues (class b?). Also, would it be a good match to a newer ampeg 8x10?

2. There are NUMEROUS threads on the differences between V4, V4B old V4B later & V4BH-latest one made up until a cuppla yrs ago. I got a V4BH & thru an efficient spkr cab it's PLENTY loud enough & sounds GREAT- especially in a band mix/setting. By itself U MAY think "gee that Solid state amp over there sounds better" But wait till U get it in a band- superb!!!!!! I play mine thru a Bergantino NV610 cab-heaps of vol. & thru an Aguilar GS112 & GS115 together & again=plenty of volume. Thru a single 15" may struggle a bit-dunno, I've tried it thru the GS112 by itself & was struggling to keep up with drums then-but thats just ONE 12" spkr !!!! GREAT amp!! Go 4 it!! They've been discontinued too- so U R lucky to find one new!!

3. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I had a 70's V4B for about 10 years and used it with an 810 cab. Great sound, and had plenty of power under most circumstances. It's definitely enough to hang in a 500-seat venue.

4. The V4BH is probly( I dunno really as I've never had the opp. to play/hear a V4) a bit less powerful. In a pretty loud band -in a decent sized club- U need to run a line outta the amps DI-which sounds GOOD too!!!!

5. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Well, they're both rated at 100w RMS, although the Ampeg book claims that the original V4B had closer to 120. Definitely not the same amp since the V4BH uses four 6L6's and the V4B uses four 7027A's, and the V4BH only has one channel. I'd bet it's on a par volume-wise, though.

6. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
  7. alright sweet thanks. I think I'm going to the store to try it out but the only cab they have right now is an old ampeg 2x15 and according to my friend, doesn't sound too great so I hope it doesn't affect how badly I want this head! lol.

8. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    LOVE when this question pops up!
    Gives me a chance to sound off!

...About how the V4BH has one of the finest DI's, so if you utilize FOH, what's the problem??

Now---If you play bass at deafening levels in a garage with shredders, then you may want to look into an SVT so you too can play LOUD, because of course all good music has to be played at mind-numbing levels!

100 watts RMS tube-powered watts- If you can't cut through a mix with the V4BH, in a venue with even moderately professional sound re-inforcement, in an even moderately professional setting.... then something is out of whack.

If you're an arena Rock-Star, have your equipment manager buy you something else... Maybe a stack of something from Flea, perhaps.

This head is an absolute tone machine (of course you have to like phat, round pure tones); it's not a master-blaster.

My answer is YES, it has enough power.

9. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I have the older V4B and I run it thru a 1x15 cabinet. We play mainly soul/r&b so not a terribly loud band but I have no problem being heard and it sounds wonderful for the style of music we play.

10. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    IMO the V4BH is loud enough for most situations as long as you don't mind a little overdrive. If you want a sparking clean tube tone, you will find a lot of situations where it is not loud enough.

I find the DI virtually useless because it doesn't have a ground-lift switch on it.

11. vintageampeg

vintageampeg

Feb 2, 2005
    put me down for a YES

I'm sad I sold mine. Needed to fund a B-15N restoration, so I can live w/ the decision.

12. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Ah what's the fun of that? :)

13. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    Virtually useless?:confused:
    After being on the road with a V4BH for 3- month and 2 -month stints respectively, and DI'ing to FOH at, oh, about,
    100 venues total- including House of Blues and similar size clubs, and outdoor Festivals with audiences ranging from 300-10,000, I had no issues with lack of a ground-lift.
    None.
    Lucky Me!:ninja:

14. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Ok I give, what's a ground-lift switch?

15. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Apparently your opinion of virtually useless differs from mine. I find that I need to lift ground every so often, therefore if a piece of gear (or a feature of that gear) can't cover all situations, I don't use it. IMO you can never be sure if you will need a ground lift feature, therefore the smart thing would be to have a separate DI that can lift a ground hooked up anyway. [...IME it isn't until half way though sound check that the soundman will come over looking for a ground lift.]

So, yes, in my mind, that DI on the back of the V4BH is useless.

16. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    After being on the road with a V4BH for 3- month and 2 -month stints respectively, and DI'ing to FOH at, oh, about,
    100 venues total- including House of Blues and similar size clubs, and outdoor Festivals with audiences ranging from 300-10,000, I had no issues with lack of a ground-lift.
    None.

Yeah, I'd say our opinions "differ"---
    What situation that I outlined above isn't covered in your "all situations" scenario?? Underwater?:confused:

I've worked with good/bad soundmen; top of the line/low-end FOH systems, indoors/outdoors, what am I missing?

Not ONE problem caused by a lack of ground lift on the DI.
    None. Zero. Never. Lots of gigs; lots of playing time. No probs.
    Ever. Really.

Well, OK, if you say so, I guess I must have needed one.

And "the soundman looking for a ground lift halfway through sound check??"

Apparently, we exist in alternate Universes, gig-wise.
    Good.:D

17. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    If it matters, you can run an older V4B at 2 ohm load. Not sure about the new one. That means TWO 810E's.

18. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.

(pedro clears throat.)

19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

A ground lift is a common feature on DI's. It's a switch (toggle, slider, pushbutton, etc) that cuts the ground connection, which can be useful when a ground loop exists (usually indicated by the ol' 60 cycle hum).

It's useful to have (better to have it and not need it, yada yada), but a DI without a ground lift is hardly useless. :eyebrow:

20. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Pedro, a "ground lift" is a switch that "lifts" or disables the ground on a balanced line, which can be a source of hum if the DI and mixing board have a different ground potential.

Dude, calm down. I am just saying I don't have enough fingers to count the times I have needed a ground lift...which the V4BH doesn't offer. And IMO, it is not uncommon for it to take a while for a sound man to figure out where the hum is coming from. I don't see how you can say that because you have never needed a ground lift, that nobody ever needs one...that is absurd.