Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg V6B head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassman Bender, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Bassman Bender

Bassman Bender

Jan 7, 2006
    I'm outgrowing my small combo amp and need more power. I have an old Ampeg V6B in my garage that I used to play when I was in a rock band. It's a solid state, 240 watt head. It shuts off after about a minute of use, so it needs repair. I've never seen any of these elsewhere and the SVT seems to be the most popular Ampeg. Is my old V6B worth fixing?

2. Bassman Bender

Bassman Bender

Jan 7, 2006
    OK, so it's an old Ampeg from the 1970s. Anyone ever seen or heard of the V6B? (I'm just a burned-out old bassist; all my basses have four strings.)

3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I'll give you a bump. Not sure what the problem is, but I can't imagine it being the be-all end-all that the SVTs or V-4Bs are. Might be worth fixing - have a techie look at it. Could be a very simple problem (a lot of the time, it is).

4. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    There's not a lot of info available on that head...a couple of H-C reviews show that it's a '70s SS amp with basic controls. That wasn't the best era for SS amps.

I have the cab that it came with, a huge 2x15.

BTW, if you're interested in parting with the amp, I might be interested.

5. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

Can't be too crazy, does it sound OK prior to shut down?

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

6. Bassman Bender

Bassman Bender

Jan 7, 2006
    Thanks for the tips. It sounds good before it cuts out. Your advice is good. I'll take it to the area techie and get an estimate. I don't think I want to get rid of it right now. It's 240 watts, but it was very very loud, I think louder than the amps they make today with more wattage.

7. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

you can buy the schematic, a manual and a trouble shooting guide for around $15.

Might not be a bad expenditure.

Best of Luck,
    Weskey R.

8. Bassman Bender

Bassman Bender

Jan 7, 2006
    It took me a few years, but I finally cleaned it up and got the Ampeg v6b head fixed by Gerald at Music Mike's in Riverside. He got the schematic from Ampeg and restored it to original condition. It sounds great! Very loud and punchy. I'm using it at home when I practice. Not sure about using it on a gig since it's such a collector's item, but what the heck.

9. Jim C

Jim C Spector#496:More curves than Sophia + better sound Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    I had one; thought it looked cool
    IMO tone was just OK and the 240 watts seemed optimistic but I haven't seen that many for sale.
    Considering how much Ampeg gear (and catalogs) I've held onto over the years this and the SVT3Pro was the only piece I ever sold and not wanted back.
    If you don't have a pile of Ampeg gear, this will be some fun for you.

10. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Did it take Music Mikes 3 years to finish it and get back to you? I took an Ampeg BA115HP there back '06. It was there for two months.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i just did a gig tonight with my 64 b-15n. why not use it? that's what it was made for.

12. Mooblar

Mooblar

Jan 9, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    Still in the music biz Jimmy? I thought you kicked that stuff ;)

13. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

check out the heat sinks-they usually were too small back in the day. Or does it have only a fan(s)? Either way, the first suspect in cutting out with amps from that era is usually a heat problem. Even my Crowns and Sunns back them were a lil bit dicey with heat.

14. I used to have a V6B..............used it live on the road from maybe '82-'86"? It pushed a MM 1x15 on top of a MM1x 18 just fine until i traded both cabs for an SVT cab. It pushed the SVT just fine. Then, it either burned up or i traded it (dont remember).

I still have the SVT cab, but would rather have that vintage MM stack.

I would LOVE to have the V6B back.

Fix it. Play it.

(i have a pic of it somewhere, and the MM stack. as soon as i find it, ill post it. i know the rules: no pic.............)

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i try to get out...they keep pulling me back ;)

16. nitrofix

nitrofix Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    I used to use one back in the day and thought they sounded great, started making noise's so I stopped using it, I still have it if anyone is interested in it, hit me with a pm, it does need to be repaired..might be worth it to someone

17. Bassman Bender

Bassman Bender

Jan 7, 2006
    That's funny. Yes, it did take them a few months, but I got to visit it every other weekend.

18. AlembicThunder

AlembicThunder

Oct 2, 2010
    I got a V6b head about 10 years ago and it has been my primary head unit ever since. I use it through a Mesa 4x10 cab and an Ampeg 1x18 cab. Besides the weight and size, I love the thing. I hear alot that people don't like the tone and that it is more loud than toney...I have to agree, but it is an aquired taste really. I wish I could find more info on the thing. There is no serial number on it, but someone etched some numbers into it I guess at some point. I am from St. Louis and tried hitting up St. Louis Music when they were still pumping out Ampeg stuff, but all they could tell me is that it was from the 70's...maybe early 80's and solid state...gee thanks. I have used several basses through it. Best so far are a Rickenbacker 4001 and my current Alembic Epic. I got it 10 years ago and haven't had to make 1 repair or adjustment. When I got it, I used a little rubbing alchohol to get the front clean and thats it. It has been my partner in crime since.

19. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    If you don't mind sharing... can you post some pics?