Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg vs. Ashdown

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jazz Lover, Aug 12, 2005.

1. I am looking for an amp with more power and less weight than my Ampeg BA 115. I can sell it and have enough to buy an Ashdown combo with the 180 head and 12in. speaker. How will these two stack up in terms of gig worthiness and sound?

2. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Don't do it.

If you want more sound than you got out of your ampeg, get a combo with two 10" speakers, at least. Or get a head and a separate cab. All depends on how much cash you've got to spend.

3. I will be spending between $300 and $500. The upper figure depends on how much I can get for my Ampeg. I might consider selling it here if anyone is interested. I don't have much experience selling stuff online though.

4. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    don't worry, TB is much friendlier place to sell than evil bay. The peanut gallery tends to keep both sellers AND buyers in line.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i've had lots of spotty experience with Ampeg gear. from the heads to the cabs. also, i've heard most of the BA line, and thought the tweeters are by far the noisest and hissiest.

but ashdown stuff continues to impress me. big fan here. :cool: