Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampless?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Jerry Ziarko, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Just curious to see if anyone else out there performs without any amp on stage. Since 1998, other than an occasional fill in gig, I have been using only in ear monitors for live performance. Two out of the remaining four bandmates also use in ears. Though not the same as using an amp, I find I play much cleaner, strain much less while singing, and last but not least, leave out or turn down the things I want to hear less of. The sound tech also loves the fact there is no amp bleed from stage. We constantly get comments on how well you can hear everything in the foh mix. My signal chain consists of bass-- Boss TU-2 tuner--Sans Amp bass DI. Shure PSM 600 wireless in ear system with custom fit earmolds. ALL of my gear (w/o bass of course) fits in a small handheld travel bag. Total time to set up or tear down, less than 2 minutes. No more sore back, or throat, and most of all min. amount of noise hangover. I went to this system mainly for relief from severe tinnitus. I never realized all the other associated benefits! We are fortunate to have the new Crest Audio XRM for mixing the monitors. Since the board provides 6 discreet stero mixes, and the guitar and keys both run stereo, my personnal mix is nothing short of amazing. I don't know if I could ever do without this type of setup again.= SPOILED!!

2. When you have a great PA and great soundman, it seems like the best way to go! :)

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I echo the above - and also, not cheap. I tried something similar, and found it too tinny. Still can't beat moving some air! And I'm not sure how you found guitarists who were not in love with their amps.

For me, as long as everyone keeps the sound on stage to a reasonable level (read that - no big amps!), the sound is better, and the backstrain reasonable.

4. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    IEM are the only way to go for me. I've been using them for about 6yrs myself. Our entire band has them. Our drummer uses the Roland V drums with the Roland monitor system and I use a bassman 25 that way we get a little of the amped sound on stage. I almost never have both buds inserted so I can here the low end off the mains.
    I too was using just the SanAmp di, then moved to a Pod Pro and now use a Demeter HBP-1 and a RNC Compressor at the soundboard for just a touch of compression. We have a nice EAW system and an Excellent sound man. It really makes a huge difference in the sound quality and the ability to dial out who and how much of who you have in the mix is invaluable to my ears.
    ;)

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've been playing a lot of gigs lately with no amp, but I don't use IEMs, just the regular monitors. Works fine for me. We use Mackie SR 1530s over Mackie SWA 1501s and, since the kick drum and I are the only ones in the subs, I get plenty of bottom. I also get my share of the 1530s because everything above 120 hz goes to them. My signal chain is usually bass > Shure UT transmitter > Shure UT receiver > Boss UT-2 tuner > Avalon U5 > mixer channel. Sometimes I insert an Aphex 204 Big Bottom in the mixer channel. On bigger gigs and outdoors, I do bring my WT-800 and D-410XLT, but still run through the PA.

Even without the stage rig, though, I still don't escape a major setup time because I own the PA, set it up, and run it from the stage.

6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Yep - either way SOMEone has to bring a heavy pile - be it the musician, the sound man, or the promoter.

We did an outdoor gig in September - one of those county harvest festivals- the promoter promised there would be a good sound system, as there were five bands going through the day. I got there early, took a look at what was there, and had to go back home and truck in our PA - I almost shot the guy!:mad: