Amplifier Recommendation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by radicalwalrus, Sep 12, 2010.

1. radicalwalrus

radicalwalrus

Sep 12, 2010
    Hello everyone, I am sort of new to bass, I've been playing guitar for 7 years, but I recently picked up bass. I don't know a lot about bass amps, but I had a few in mind for my price range. So I need help with a recommendation of which may be better.

1) Fender Rumble 350 350W 2x10 Bass Combo Amp
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Rumble-350-350W-2x10-Bass-Combo-Amp-105805188-i1500545.gc

2) Line 6 LowDown LD300 Pro Combo Bass Amp
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-LowDown-LD300-Pro-Combo-Bass-Amp-103666988-i1145778.gc

Thank you for your help.
    (P.S. I don't know if this is a factor in which I should get but I play for a Hardcore/Metalcore band, but I also play lounge and jazz. So if that helps with which I should get let me know.)

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Metal means loud, and loud means lot's-o-speakers. If you want to go with a combo amp, look for one that has alot of juice, and the capability to add an ext spkr in parallel. It would say somehting like 350 watts at 8 ohms, (internal 2x10), 500 watts at 4 ohms, (using an 8 ohm ext cab). That fender won't do this, not sure about the Line 6 amp. Lots of amps do, like SWR combo's, and certain Ampeg combo's. Otherwise, I'd seriously consider seperates, in the 300-500 watt range for the head, and at least a 4x10 cab.

3. What RickenBoogie said. You may want to consider adding a smaller rig for your lounge gigs to ease your load.

4. radicalwalrus

radicalwalrus

Sep 12, 2010
    I was looking at some heads and cabs, but I didn't know if I would be needing it, or have enough money. But if a 300-500 head and 4x10 cab is a good choice then I have some in mind.
    It is a 400w head version of the Line 6 amp. With a 4x10 410 cab. I'm not really sure about the tone or quality on Line 6 bass amps, but I know they have plenty of features, and are pretty simple to use.

5. Carvin's BX500 head is 500 watts rms and their BRX10.4 neo cab has a 1200 watt rms handling capacity. I own it and it gets very loud.

6. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    If you really want a combo the Carvin BR510N is a 2x10 combo using a 500 watt head. It is rated at 300 watts in this configuration (8 ohms). You can add another 8 ohm cab to get the full 500 watts.

7. morganmcd

morganmcd

Aug 30, 2010
    Canberra ACT
    I wouldn't think either of those combos will be loud enough to keep up with a loud drummer.

second hand peavey rig I reckon

8. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    For metal Stay away from 2x10s.

8x10
    4x12
    2x15
    1x15

Pick from that.

For a small combo you cant beat the BA115 in a closed room.
    If you need more power go at least 400watts on a efficient 4x10

9. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Inactive

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Of those I would get the Fender, cause I don't like Line 6 amps. However I think you should look for a used 4x10 and a head. I'm sure for $400 you could put a pretty decent used rig together that'd get really loud.

10. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    i wouldn't want to try to play hardcore/metal with either of the OP's examples (links).

and when i think of metal, the last thing i think of are line6 amps.

in that price range, i'd go with a used GK head and at least a 4x10 or a 2x15 cab.

11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

If you are wanting ONE cabinet this may be true, except for the 1x15. A pair of 2x10s is a very versatile configuration and can get really loud when required. They are also much better for transport. I use one for rehearsal, two to gig with and four outdoors.

Paul

12. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Do you play Metal as your main thing?

All those cabinets work great for Loud Metal.

I have nearly destroyed ported 2x10" with Low B and Low A notes. Closed 2x10... Might just do it.

In rehearsals a Ampeg BA115 100W 1x15 has served me well.
    And a SVT15E with an SVT3 Pro can get me through the day.

I cant say the same about the BA210 , SVT210HE or any other 2x10 combo y have tried. There might be excellent 2x10 or even 3x10 that could handle the gig, but as a general rule, the more air they move the better.

13. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

No I don't play Metal as a regular thing but it does crop up fairly often. You are talking Ampeg here and combos. I'd play through none of them but that may be what is available in your part of the world. I don't consider a 2x10 capable of anything but the smallest gig. As I said I always use a pair. However I am very conservative when it comes to the tools of my trade. Maybe that's why my equipment is so reliable.

I would never use a single 15 either unless it's loaded and designed for a 3015 such as a Fearful or a Barefaced. Regular 1x15s simple cannot do what I ask of them.

Paul

14. panama

panama

May 26, 2009
    Detroit
    Used 80s Peavey 2x15 + Peavey Mark IV or something like that

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021