1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amps for college use!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brentonkim, Mar 16, 2010.

1. brentonkim

brentonkim

Mar 10, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I'm heading off to college, and I need a good amp to play with. I only have a small crate practice amp right now, so I want an upgrade that'll sound good, and isn't too heavy. I'm looking to pay around 400-500? I was looking at the hartke hydrives, which seem good and affordable, and not too big.

I'm just looking for suggestions really, combo or small cabs/amp, I'm not sure. haha
    Thanks.

2. bassninja7

bassninja7

Mar 1, 2008
    Napoleon, OH
    http://www.myspace.com/publicface
    headphones? :D

3. brentonkim

brentonkim

Mar 10, 2009
    Austin, TX
    haha, I would, but I plan to gig a little bit.

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I strongly recommend raising your budget to ~$600-650 and that you go modular. Were I you, I would buy a good used 2x10 (Eden, Epifani, Avatar, EA, Bergantino, Ampeg, SWR etc.) and a small head, like a used SWR 350 or GK 800rb.

5. I picked up a Hartke HyDrive 115c about a month ago. Fairly hefty at around 70 lbs. but it sounds good! VERY good! And at 250 watts, plenty of power.

6. brentonkim

brentonkim

Mar 10, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Hmm, I would, but I'm not sure if I could afford that, haha, I'm not an adult with a paying job.

:(

But! Is there a possibility I could find a cheap nice cab, like an eden or epifani, a bit cheaper? or am I SOL? haha

7. jam.majors

jam.majors

Mar 24, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    If you wanna go combo, go with a used Eden Nemesis for light weight and good sounds.

If you go modular, try to Carvin BX500 for high power, low weight, and low cost new, and go Avatar SB112 for the same reasons.

8. GK maybe even one of their new combos.

9. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Eden Nemesis combo, OR SWR WorkingPro combos. I got an SWR Workingman's 12 combo my freshman year of college and still use it to this day. If you can locate an older Workingman's 12 or 15 combo, those are great and usually very cheap these days. Very versatile amp for upright and electric.

10. namuxtree

namuxtree Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    you should check out carvin's combo's really powerful (500 watts) and really light (less than 50lbs?)

11. PapaJustice

PapaJustice

Dec 28, 2007
    Boston
    +1

If that is your budget then you should be alright-- you don't really need anything terribly loud IMO. Most places will mic your cab or DI it. Used is the way to go.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020