1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amps for different genres?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by da axeman, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Do different brands of amps sound better for different genres of music or can can you get any amp to sound the way you want it for any type of music :confused: :confused:

If it does depend on the brand of amp can I get some advice on amps for metal (all types of metal)

Thanks in advance for any comments.

2. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Metal amps I would say.... GK and Ampeg... MarkBass are good too.

3. What does GK stand for?

4. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
  5. Different make cabs can make a difference also. eg. Eden are often seen for funk style stuff, Basson more often seen for heavy rock/metal. IME Ampeg & most amps are fine for all sorts-to me the sound is more in yr fingers.

6. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Pretty much... no matter what amp you get, the sound is always in the attack. Your fingers (pick, in my case) are what control the sound. And the EQ of course! :smug:

7. Yes. GK is the best solid state option for metal, there's also Peavey (they have a new bass line) , for tube- go Ampeg, for tube/solid state go Mesa.

8. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    If you have a decent amp, you should be able to pull off any genre.

9. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I use Ampeg exclusively and play Metal, Funk and Top 40. My sound is always good IMO.

10. I use a pick, and my teacher taught me to play hard to the point of nearly breaking the strings, so volume isn't an issue :smug: I just want an amp with a nice metal tone, but if I can get it out of any amp/stack I just have to find one I like :p

11. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Suspended

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    What kind of teacher would condone that!
    Does this teacher play for Spinal Tap?
    What do they think they're teaching you?

12. Not spinal tap, he used to play in a heavy metal band call 8 Foot Sativa, and incase you didn't see above, I play in a heavy metal band, metal=loud and attacking, there is nothing wrong with loudness :spit:

13. I would say Ampeg, thats what I use. My rig get's me whatever tone I want, but it's mostly what bass and how I play it.

As for destroying you're tone with a brutal pick attack, you're killing the sustane man. The harder you pick, you loose definition, you'll learn that when you get into studio ;) If you constantly pick crazy hard, it won't matter at all what kind of gear you have.

My 0.02$

14. Are ampeg amps easy to find?, cuz I live in NZ

15. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    The brand has very little to do with it. There may be "amps that are awesome for hardcore prog" or something but that doesn't mean that they suck for electric jazz. As has been suggested already in this thread, it has a lot more to do with your skill as a player and your ability to set the amp properly than what the nameplate says.

16. tlwaps

tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    Ohio
    For me it was Ampeg. I mainly play finger style, I do some slapping and popping but rarely do any finger tapping (I can do it, just doesn't work to much in metal music) and I play extremely hard and agressive.

17. Does slapping and popping work in metal?

18. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    :eek: :eek:

You have alot to learn da axeman. ;)

19. Thats why he's here ;)

Slapping CAN, but not always. Unless you really know when and how to use it, don't just start whackin' away. Tapping is used more often in metal IMHO than poping, I use it alot, but it's another case of don't do it unless it fits and you can pull it off, it's the most complicated and demanding way to play IMHO.

If you really want to go that route, a good cab would be a wiser choice, as there are so many transients going on.

20. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    There is a track by Testament where slapping and popping is used. But it's not actually a metal song, it sounds more groovish.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021